Burn pit documents and resources

usafaviator

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I'm posting some of the burn pit related documents, studies, memos, etc. Please post anything you have that is burn pit related as well...maybe we can add another helpful hub to this great site!

OF PARTICULAR INTEREST: If you served at Bagram (BAF), be sure to print off the burn pit memo below and submit it for inclusion into your medical records asap.

Attachments

• Burn Pit Study.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
  • 03-13-09VASecShinsekiLetterresponse.PDF
    359.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 03-30-09DefSecGatesBurnPitsLetter.PDF
    423.9 KB · Views: 77
  • BISHNY_028_xml(1).pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 76
  • burn pit memo.jpg
    burn pit memo.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 216
  • BurnPitsAmendment.pdf
    125.9 KB · Views: 97
  • BurnPitsPressConferenceStatement_Kramer06-11-09.pdf
    67.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DANGEROUSHEALTHEFFECTSOFWASTEBURNINGANDINHALATION2[Read-Only].pdf
    595.2 KB · Views: 91
  • FeingoldBaladAFB.pdf
    839.3 KB · Views: 77
  • FINALBaladABBurnPitAssess_May08.pdf
    865 KB · Views: 91
Love Petreaus's.. oops were sorry we were of by a decimal point. So change it over and wa la.. see it really isnt that bad..

Thanks aviator, the guy I work with has no idea what he is in for now... He didn't believe me about this stuff... I WIN!! :p

I picked up a copy of the Army Liar (I mean Army Times) yesterday, there is an article about the VA now being required to set up a registery for troops deployed to Balad and Bagram and the exposure to the burn pits (NDAA 2013). I spent most of 2007 in Balad, when I returned to the states I had coughing spasms that lasted for months. I think those burn pits are this generations Agent Orange........

Thanks for the links, USAFAviator. For anyone at Sabalu Harrison right north of Bagram, the ANA built a burn pit the last half of 2012, so it was a double whammy - and Lord knows what they were burning.

Great, I got the double whammy, spent 8 months in Bagram also. If I was to compare burn pits like fine wine, I think that the Balad burn pit would get 4 stars, Bagram maybe 2???? I will have to check the burnpits360.org too, thanks for the tip!

I'm posting some of the burn pit related documents, studies, memos, etc. Please post anything you have that is burn pit related as well...maybe we can add another helpful hub to this great site!

OF PARTICULAR INTEREST: If you served at Bagram (BAF), be sure to print off the burn pit memo below and submit it for inclusion into your medical records asap.

Make sure if you know of any pictures or documents specific to the burn pits and who was running the burn pits in Iraq or Afghanistan please send to Motley Rice LLC...It is important and its for all of us...Thanks.

Don't forget for your VA claim...you have to connect your condition with your exposure to the burn pits...It is critical...The documentation is critical....Hope this helps.
AFLifer, for someone that is new to the process, how would you recommend going about that? I was in Kandahar / Bagram from 01-02, Mosul, from 03-04 (during the al Mishraq sulfur fire), and Baghdad / Diwaniyah from 08-09. I burned my fair share of feces during my first two deployments and was exposed to burn pits for basically 24hrs a day in Kandahar. I was diagnosed with a very rare type of cancer (olfactory neuroblastoma) last year. There isn't really a whole lot of information about the cause of the cancer because of the limited number of cases but most research suggests that it's caused by prolonged exposure to toxic fumes. I've had two brain surgeries in the past year and completed radiation and I'm currently cancer free so the Army sees it as I'm good to go. I no longer have a sense of smell and almost all of my sinuses were resected causing a laundry list of issues. I've put in 15 years into the Army and I had no intention of getting out but my body can't take it anymore (multiple back/neck surgeries, PTSD, etc) but now I'm concerned that I'm going to walk away with a pat on the back. What would you recommend that I put together to take to the VA?
Sorry for the long post, I'm new here :)

Just a heads up.. I called the hotline and now I'm being sent up to walter reed next month for testing. Has anyone did this yet and does these exams support your claim with the VA for like asthma or OSA?

I think you are the first post I have seen regarding burn pit testing. Anyone else want to chime in?

I think you are the first post I have seen regarding burn pit testing. Anyone else want to chime in?
FatHawkDown - Yea when I did my interview on the phone, the lady said only 900 people have called in and only 115 have been determined to need testing done. She wanted me to spread the word. If anyone has developed any pulmonary conditions or anything they might think be a cause from the burn pit critera including sand storms, burnpits, burning bodies, trash and or chemical exposure like myself "Chlorine Gas/Power inhalation" then you might being able to get the testing to help your claims or appeals out with concrete evidence.

So an update on the burn pit testing. I did my walter reed appt which was less then an hr due to the fact I already had medical testing and treatment for years since I started haven't pulmonary issues. They did not see that I had neurological, eye or skin issues due to the exposure but that my I had " pulmonary insult" that possibly what lead to my issues. This is just for documentation on the military side that could help my claims out in the future I believe not 100 % sure but that's whas new

Has anyone gotten their respiratory issues related to burn pits marked as combat/deployment related? I'm currently in the middle of the med board process. I just received my proposed ratings yesterday. I would like to get my Sleep Apnea and Vocal Cord Dysfunction as being caused by my deployments to Al Dhafra AB in 2007 and ISAF HQ/Kabul in 2012-2013. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle of trying to prove it. I'm at a point that I would like to separate as soon as possible but if it's likely I can get them deployment related I'll appeal now and try to do so. If it's not likely I don't want to waste my time and be in longer than I need. I have insomnia and it's causing me to get very little sleep and be constantly late for work while stressing me out even more during this whole process. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is not likely to get any issues combat related. You could try to get them listed as occurring in a combat zone for tax purposes.

Does anyone have the hotline number? I was in Kandahar in 2011 for a short deployment and was sent home early but our tent was right next to the burn pit. A couple months after returning I started having trouble swallowing food only to find out that I was diagnosed with EOE and still to this day have problems. I appreciate the help!