C&P Exam prognosis verbiage

weeblewobble

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all, received my C&P results today and was curious about the difference between prognosis codes. I had 14 claimed conditions, 1 referred condition. Some of my conditions said "unknown " for prognosis, but my referred condition (Menieres disease) had "guarded" as the prognosis. Wondering if anyone had any experience with a prognosis of "guarded" for the referred condition when it comes down to PDRL vs TDRL?

Asked 3 of my doctor friends, and got 3 different answers.

Basically they all sort of agree that guarded is what a doctor puts down when they really want to say "No freaking idea"

One said its when they have no idea if you are going to get better or not
One said its when they have no idea if you are going to get better or not BUT they are banking on you not getting better
One said they want to say you aren't going to get better, but there is a small chance and the doctor doesn't want to get hit with a malpractice case.

Hi all, received my C&P results today and was curious about the difference between prognosis codes. I had 14 claimed conditions, 1 referred condition. Some of my conditions said "unknown " for prognosis, but my referred condition (Menieres disease) had "guarded" as the prognosis. Wondering if anyone had any experience with a prognosis of "guarded" for the referred condition when it comes down to PDRL vs TDRL?

Guarded means less than good but better than serious.

It is synonymous with with that you are basically ill and not likley to get better, however the injury/illness is not life threatening.

Asked 3 of my doctor friends, and got 3 different answers.

Basically they all sort of agree that guarded is what a doctor puts down when they really want to say "No freaking idea"

One said its when they have no idea if you are going to get better or not
One said its when they have no idea if you are going to get better or not BUT they are banking on you not getting better
One said they want to say you aren't going to get better, but there is a small chance and the doctor doesn't want to get hit with a malpractice case.
This answer is great! I literally laughed out loud. Thank you for asking your crew!

Guarded means less than good but better than serious.

It is synonymous with with that you are basically ill and not likley to get better, however the injury/illness is not life threatening.
Thank you for the reply!