C&P Exam Tomorrow. Any advice on ROM most appreciated.

BuddyBoy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Colleagues -
-My MEB conditions are: Low Back Pain, Lumbar Spondylosis, and Degenerative Disk Disease. Steroid injections for years, herniated discs, etc etc.
-I went to a CP a few weeks ago. No words to describe it - complaint filed with QTC.
-Out of the blue, QTC calls me with a new CP exam date (tomorrow).

-Biggest impediment with first exam was range of motion. Physician kept pushing me forward and to the side (I cant
make this up). Hurt like crazy. I am also a clinical provider with over 20 years of clinical work. Never ever saw this type
of unprofessional behavior - either with civilian or fellow military docs.

What does a proper CP Range of Motion exam for the spine look like? Any advice for tomorrow? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 91B
I can't say I had the same experience as far as the physician pushing me like you mentioned. I have the same diagnosis along with a spinal fusion. The biggest concern I had was my physician measured my ROM with her eyeball while sitting back in her chair. I mentioned that to my attorney and he had me go to a physical therapy clinic to be professionally measured, so that we could do a one-time VAAR. Best of luck to you.

I've had them push my arm up while checking for range of motion on my shoulder. Told them to stop and remeasure... i also now have asked them to not touch me while doing the range of motion testing, and to just let me show them how far I can go. As soon as pain starts or i really can move it any more I stop, and make sure you take note because they will have you do it multiple times to make sure how far you can go.

my best advice is if it causes too much pain tell them you cant move. this is what i did(which is true). and do not malinger or however you spell it. cause they will catch you if you lie about your pain. i also have what you have. i didn't move cause i am unable to. and as the above stated if you can move. make sure your exact of every set. cause they do it three times. either back to back or in sets. they do side to side. and forward and backwards. wish you the best of luck. and biggest of all they will ask you how it effects your everyday life. how you cannot perform your job etc. etc.. etc... be truthful and honest. and don't forget to leave anything out. this will as well affect your outcome for rating. tell them how it effects you at work, esecially if you cant wear gear or be out in the field sleeping on cots. pt, personal life. and all the above.

A proper eam is you are asked to bend a certain way. You bend as far as you can without pain. The process is supposed to be repeated three times. Ideally it is measured with a goniometer.

Update- Thank you all for the advice. This go-around lasted only about 70 minutes, including reviewing paperwork. The physician was cordial, respectful, and engaging.
He used a goniometer (although the use itself seemed somewhat subjective (?). All in all, I would say a night and day difference between my first CP exam. Like you, I just wanted this process to be fair. My thanks for the members who offered their advice and comments. Much appreciated.