C & P exam

Tenji

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I went through a c&p exam a couple of days ago for Temporomandibular disorder. I can barely open my mouth cause of this condition. The C&p examiner never measured my ROM for my mouth. I am really stressed out thinking it will hugely affect my rating. I am also completely done with all my C&P exams. I am an active-duty Army. Do I ever get a chance to ask for another examiner if i am not satisfied? When do i get that chance? Is it what IMR rebuttal is for? I am really lost.

Was Temporomandibular disorder your only unfitting condition? I wouldn’t stress to much, if you can hardly open your mouth your C&P examiner most likely noted it appropriately.IMR’s are used if you believe there are additional unfitting conditions, with supporting medical documentation, that need reviewed for potential addition to your MEB packet.

Once your case gets to the PEB you will get the opportunity to appeal your VA ratings if necessary.

Was Temporomandibular disorder your only unfitting condition? I wouldn’t stress to much, if you can hardly open your mouth your C&P examiner most likely noted it appropriately.IMR’s are used if you believe there are additional unfitting conditions, with supporting medical documentation, that need reviewed for potential addition to your MEB packet.

Yes, its the only condition that I have been referred to Med board for. So I am stationed in Italy, currently and the C&P examiner was an Italian doctor who couldn't speak English and had to have a translator. I did tell him cause of the pain, I am not able to open my mouth wide. When I looked at the DBQ for this condition, It has blocks for Range of motion for mouth from side to side and open to close. He just didn't measure it at all. I was only able to open my mouth like 10 mm when his translator asked me to open my mouth so the examiner could feel my jaw joint. I am concerned because the VA rate for ROM for this condition is like40% for 10mm and 30 for 11 to 20mm opening. Do you think he will still rate me? I mean he has to put the info ROM cause thats how this condition is rated.

If you don't agree with the rating when it comes back, then you can ask for a VARR. But I suggest you relax for the time being. If you can barely open your mouth that should have been apparent throughout the appointment. People, to often worry about the obvious. Why would a provider even need to measure something so obvious?

If he puts the correct ROM in your notes you should be ok. If you have minimal ROM it could have been noted appropriately based off visual knowledge.

If you don't agree with the rating when it comes back, then you can ask for a VARR. But I suggest you relax for the time being. If you can barely open your mouth that should have been apparent throughout the appointment. People, to often worry about the obvious. Why would a provider even need to measure something so obvious?

Thank you for the reply, Sir. I feel like that VARR will make the process much longer. I have been suffering from this condition for 2 years now and would like to be out of the Army soon. Can't take no more.

If you have other medical conditions that are unfitting I would have them evaluated by your PCM, ASAP for potential additions to your MEB.

If he puts the correct ROM in your notes you should be ok. If you have minimal ROM it could have been noted appropriately based off visual knowledge.

I really appreciate for the help.

Thank you for the reply, Sir. I feel like that VARR will make the process much longer. I have been suffering from this condition for 2 years now and would like to be out of the Army soon. Can't take no more.
I urge you to stay the course. The decision you make during the PEB process have lifetime consequences. Getting something corrected after you several can takes months (VA appeal) to years (BCMR) and sometimes never get corrected. I appreciate your frustration, got that t-shirt. The stakes are just to high.