Can anyone help? Frustrated

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was referred in November of last year, and there was apparently a problem with the VA system so I FINALLY got my VA appointments done in April. My PEBLO, who I might add is HORRIBLE at her job (won’t respond for weeks, won’t do what she’s supposed to) and my CO had even had to get involved a few times, told me my case was finally sent out to the PEB on June 3rd. I called the VA to check on the status of it, and they said they had gotten my case in June 11th. I thought, cool, the PEB made an informal decision quickly and sent it over. I call the PEB today (They finally answer for once) and they said they didn’t have my case! They couldn’t find anything on it. I’m so frustrated. How in the world does the VA have my case for rating if they PEB never got it?
I NEED to be out by August 8th. I am pregnant and due in October and I need to move back home for the birth, as my husband will be in training in another state (and I can’t go with him). At this point I am considering just requesting an admin discharge, which my command was trying to do for me originally anyway. If I get an admin sep over my medical process, does that disqualify me from getting disability in the future? I have 6 conditions that are going through the VA for rating.
My command was also going to try to help me get Home Awaiting Orders, but if the PEB doesn’t even have my case yet, I don’t know if that will be pushing my August 8th deadline.

oldrusty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was referred in November of last year, and there was apparently a problem with the VA system so I FINALLY got my VA appointments done in April. My PEBLO, who I might add is HORRIBLE at her job (won’t respond for weeks, won’t do what she’s supposed to) and my CO had even had to get involved a few times, told me my case was finally sent out to the PEB on June 3rd. I called the VA to check on the status of it, and they said they had gotten my case in June 11th. I thought, cool, the PEB made an informal decision quickly and sent it over. I call the PEB today (They finally answer for once) and they said they didn’t have my case! They couldn’t find anything on it. I’m so frustrated. How in the world does the VA have my case for rating if they PEB never got it?
I NEED to be out by August 8th. I am pregnant and due in October and I need to move back home for the birth, as my husband will be in training in another state (and I can’t go with him). At this point I am considering just requesting an admin discharge, which my command was trying to do for me originally anyway. If I get an admin sep over my medical process, does that disqualify me from getting disability in the future? I have 6 conditions that are going through the VA for rating.
My command was also going to try to help me get Home Awaiting Orders, but if the PEB doesn’t even have my case yet, I don’t know if that will be pushing my August 8th deadline.
So let me explain everything that you need to do to better assist you.
First you should be registered in ebenefits. If you haven't done so do that it will allow you personally to check your claim status. Its very simple to do I recommend after creating one with you CAC that you make sure to create a password with it to have access one you are out of the service. Secondly don't fret the admin guy you could have talk to may be inexperience at what he was doing. usually that is the case most of the time. you can also contact the va to figure out if they have your claim and the rating process of your claims. good news is if you already have been referred to the va means you were already found unfit. An admin sep will not hinder you being able to file disability but will slow the process down for receiving disability when you get out. Also the only way to get off the board would be to contest its findings through a formal board that entire process can take a couple of months to say the least and not worth it. hope this helps.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I concur with everyone let it play out avoid the admin if possible this has a lot more at stake for your family than preference.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I too agree with all that has been offered.

In answer to your question:, "If I get an admin sep over my medical process, does that disqualify me from getting [VA] disability in the future?"
It would not preclude VA disability compensation; however, I think you would be making a mistake to forfeit potential Tricare for Life, etc.

This was important:
"Also the only way to get off the board would be to contest its findings through a formal board that entire process can take a couple of months to say the least and not worth it. hope this helps."--Old Rusty

Good luck.

Ron

Drenerk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm just starting but was a recruiter and have dealt with many Admin Seps and I can tell you this is not a good idea. If you have the ability to do the med board process you most definitely should. In the long run you will not regret it. You can always take your entire Maternity PTAD while you're active duty and still have your medical and appointments for your child. If childcare is a concern you should immediately register for childcare at the CDC and ensure your category is marked as single active duty member. This should really help your wait time. Don't give up and keep pushing forward. You've gone through boot camp and you will get through this.

faithclararose

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The issue is that I'm being discharged for PTSD and anxiety and my mental health isn't the best (especially being on this specific base). I know at the very least I'll be out by October (My due date is end of Oct.), but if I don't get discharged by early September, I will have to stay in my current location. I can't switch OBGYN's after 32 weeks. I would be completely alone for labor/delivery and with my first baby for however long it took my husband to get through training. I don't have any family or friends here (my husband will be in training in another state). With my mental health ALREADY suffering, it would be a horrible idea for me to be completely alone without any sort of support system. My command is willing to help me in any way they can, but I don't know how they could at this point.

My PEBLO is a complete POS who doesn't do her job. She said in an email that she sent out my case on June 3rd. I called and got ahold of the PEB on the 18th, and they said they hadn't received it and I explained my PEBLO sent it on the 3rd. They said they would call her. Well, I called them back today, and they said they finally received it on the 19th. I s2g if I can get her fired I will. My disability lawyer said she is literally the slowest PEBLO in the nation.
Anyway I talked to someone at the VA and explained my situation, and he wants to help me -- he said he would try to talk to the right people and push my case through and back to the PEB as soon as they receive it.

How long does it usually take for the PEB to make an informal decision and send it to the VA for rating?

12Mustang05

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not sure what branch you are but I can only speak for navy PEB usually a month you may be luckier. However recently they have been undermanned so it has been taking even longer than the usual 30 days. Hope it works out for you.

Rjohnson87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received my MEB decision about a week after I got back from my C&P exams. The only issue I have now is somehow my C&P for my MEB condition has been lost. So now I'm at a standstill again.

ArcticWarrior907

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Your command or your husband should talk to his command to let him stay on Rear D,its just training as you said and I had plenty Soldiers throughout my career who were put on Rear D when going to NTC,JRTC,Atlantic Resolve etc. You an talk to your OBYGN and have a medical opinion written up that it is a medical necessity for your husband to be there when you give birth, in addition from your mental health counselor. There are not many Commanders, at least I ran into in my 20+ years in the Army who will deny that request and will leave your hubby behind..I am sure he is not THAT important to the unit success....just my take on it if you cant grt nowhere on the seperation part.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">