Can i be demoted for PT failure while going through an MEB?

porto

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
im curious, i am going through the very first stages of my MEB process, and im pretty sure im going to fail the waist measurement, however i will rock the push ups and sit ups! i was diagnosed with chronic fibromyalgia, and also im on a cpap machine for sleep apnea. if i fail it will be my 3rd failure in 2 years, however my last one was a pass, i scored an 81. i asked my PEBLO if going through a med board would mean they can not demote me for this, and she said the MEB has no bearing on what the Commander's decision will be. i have been on a profile for a long time, maybe three years? on my newest profile it states at the bottom that i am under MEB. along with my restrictions, no walk, no run, or high impact activities. so i can only do very few exercises, and since my last pt, my fibro flared up on a daily basis, becuase i had to push it! my question is, can you be demoted for pt failure while undergoing a MEB?? the only thing i am cleared to do is push ups, sit ups, and of course, waist measurement. any info is appreciated! im 100% positive i will be medically seperated/retired for how bad my condition is. just wish i could get this one stresser out of my way! i also appologize for the speradicness of this paragraph. im also a single father of 3 kids, and i am scatter brained 22 hours a day.

follow up info, i have been active duty Air Force 9 years, 8 months. i can't think of anything else, if you need more please let me know!!

In my initial counseling for the PEB/MEB with the PEBLO it stated that we are required to maintain body weight standards and military appearance standards through out the process. So can seperate you for failing to maintain that. AS far as your PT test, no since your profile says no high impact activities. I would see about seeing your provider and getting him update your profile saying NO PT. I'm in the Marines but I'm sure the appearance and weight standards being maintained are the same across all services. Unless you are unable to stay in regulation due to a medical issue, but that would be stated on your profile and waived.

with my Fibro, it is rare days that i can get the energy for a good sweaty workout. however, the Air Force will not waiver the waist measurment for any thing other then pregnancy, or stomach surgery. since im a guy with no surgerys, and no pregnancy, im pretty much hosed it feels like :( this is the frustrating part! i recognize that it is part of the service, looking healthy, and maintaning a decent waist size. however, being switched from one medical coctail to another has taken its toll. i guess i will just have to deal with whatever they see fit to do, i appreciate your feedback Spoof!

with my Fibro, it is rare days that i can get the energy for a good sweaty workout. however, the Air Force will not waiver the waist measurment for any thing other then pregnancy, or stomach surgery. since im a guy with no surgerys, and no pregnancy, im pretty much hosed it feels like :( this is the frustrating part! i recognize that it is part of the service, looking healthy, and maintaning a decent waist size. however, being switched from one medical coctail to another has taken its toll. i guess i will just have to deal with whatever they see fit to do, i appreciate your feedback Spoof!

Do any of your medications have a weight gain side effect?

If so, can this be stated in your medical records?

V/r,
nwlivewire

i know 3 outta the 6 medications i was on had wieght gain as a side effect, however i didnt ask them if that could be on my profile, but it is in my records! i will talk to my doc tomorow and make sure though, cause that might help my case, but from what i have seen how they treat people who are, well, fluffy, i am not holding my breath! but thank you for the idea! i will get back on here after my appointment! :D

V/R
Porto

I worked at numerous AF hospitals. Even with no PT profile, waist cannot be exempt. I had fibro too. They do not take meds into consideration. They feel diet can control it. I have seen members get a waist measurement postponed for 30-60 days. Usually from a psych doc, from gaining weight from depression meds. It depends on what your weight was before you started those meds, how long you have been on the meds, if your doctor is considerate enough to try to do this against commander's wishes, ect. ect. They will put you on a strict diet and in the weight program. So it also depends on how much weight you need to lose. Are you getting MEB'd?

Hope this helps...

@ AmyGallay,

yes, right now im waiting to hear from my PEBLO and set up an appointment to see the VA doctors for their poke and prodding. my doc tried getting my waist exempt until i was on the right mix of medication, but the hospital commander said only if he is pregnant or has had stomache surgery.some of the meds i was on for a few months, some even longer until they needed to switched to other medication.

That's what is most common. Did you receive a LOR for your PT test? That is usually what happens first as a warning. Then a retape after 3 months. Then an article 15 and demotion for the 4th failure. So hopefully they will take your last passing score an MEB into consideration an just give you an LOR and you'll have 3 months to finish your MEB or lose the weight you need to. And if you do end up getting a demotion, it might change your rank on your new blue ID card when this is all done and said, but I believe your Dod pay is based on the average of your last 3 years of pay. And they can not administratively discharge you with a MEB pending for the PT test...

Did you receive a DoD rating yet?

im curious, i am going through the very first stages of my MEB process, and im pretty sure im going to fail the waist measurement, however i will rock the push ups and sit ups! i was diagnosed with chronic fibromyalgia, and also im on a cpap machine for sleep apnea. if i fail it will be my 3rd failure in 2 years, however my last one was a pass, i scored an 81. i asked my PEBLO if going through a med board would mean they can not demote me for this, and she said the MEB has no bearing on what the Commander's decision will be. i have been on a profile for a long time, maybe three years? on my newest profile it states at the bottom that i am under MEB. along with my restrictions, no walk, no run, or high impact activities. so i can only do very few exercises, and since my last pt, my fibro flared up on a daily basis, becuase i had to push it! my question is, can you be demoted for pt failure while undergoing a MEB?? the only thing i am cleared to do is push ups, sit ups, and of course, waist measurement. any info is appreciated! im 100% positive i will be medically seperated/retired for how bad my condition is. just wish i could get this one stresser out of my way! i also appologize for the speradicness of this paragraph. im also a single father of 3 kids, and i am scatter brained 22 hours a day.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Thus, I quite comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

My last tape was 26.5. The biggest my waist has been was 36 (lost most of it before even considering joining). The majority of the time I kept my waist down was with diet only, which is what I'm currently forced to do. You need to adjust to your new activity level not blame it.

i wish i had your Genetics Munashiimaru! and grats on your awesome taping! i had a very good activity level, about 6 months ago when i scored an 81 on my pt test!:) and you are right, adjusting to my now almost nill activity level is a must! i am on a diabetic eating routine to keep my blood sugar levels in a good spot. im not diabetic persay, but i don't want to develop it either! and im not trying to blame my illness for my increased waist size by any means! pt has been difficult with my pain level varying from 7-10 on a daily basis. im currently on elavil, with pain killers at night to keep me from waking up prematurly. also, im starting to question my metabolism being as im stationed in North Dakota. again, im scatter brained! my point being, i know what i can, and can't do, and thus why im asking about my MEB and possible demotion due to maybe failing the waist taping. i also asked for an extention to my test date, since im now starting to feel like i can actually do light cardio, pool, etc. i wish i taped at 26.5 lol, im a little jelous! :D

Being in Minot during the winter really doesn't help the weight issue. That is where I retired from too. The docs said the neg cold weather made me notice my conditions more.

I have hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroidism), and I take a multitude of antidepressants/anticonvulsants for depression/migraines/generalized pain/etc. The things that make maintaining your weight difficult are no stranger to me, and you certainly should be grateful you don't have my genetics. I have to be constantly vigilant of my weight, and the journey from a 36 to a 26 waist was not a pleasant one (most of that before I knew I had hypothyroidism).

Don't take what I'm saying too hard though. Just know that it's in your hands if you want to work on it. Even once you get out, being healthier is a solid goal to strive for.

To All Airmen" Please Read" AFI36-2905 Chapter 9, Administrative and Personnel Actions. Section 9.1.1.1 "Commanders may not impose nonjudicial punishment (Article 15, UCMJ) soley for failing to achieve a Satisfactory fitness score. 9.1.1.2 Upon receipt of a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) permament excemption, a member is not subject to adverse personnel action for inability to take the FA." If any supervisor drives to get you to take a fitness test for which you have a current 422 and 469 medical profile indicating that you are currently going through a MEB, you are not required to take the FA. It is in the regs...go read it. I have quoeted it from the AFI36-2905; it is in black and white. I was wrongfullly (ANG AGR) demoted and currently have filed a IG complaint based on this factual information that I have supplied to you. Lastly, many units and commanders do not know or educate themselves on this and do this without checking the regs. I hope this information is helpful. Send feedback if you wish.

Crome45
Semper FI

The AFI36-2905 is the fitness regulations directing Chapter 9, Administrative and Personnel Actions- permament excemption for those Airmen on a MEB status. This information is posted on this site under Administrative and Personnel Actions.

Crome45
Semper FI

Read my posting as of today, AFI36-2905 Chapter 9, Administrative and Personnel Actions, permament excemption for those Airmen on a MEB status.... I am a prior service U.S. MARINE, now a ANG AGR member going through a MEB.

Crome45
Semper FI

In my initial counseling for the PEB/MEB with the PEBLO it stated that we are required to maintain body weight standards and military appearance standards through out the process. So can seperate you for failing to maintain that. AS far as your PT test, no since your profile says no high impact activities. I would see about seeing your provider and getting him update your profile saying NO PT. I'm in the Marines but I'm sure the appearance and weight standards being maintained are the same across all services. Unless you are unable to stay in regulation due to a medical issue, but that would be stated on your profile and waived.

You are correct and another factual based information for Airmen who are on a current profile and MEB status are excempt from the take the FA. Google and research the following Air Force Instruction, AFI36-2905, Chapter 9. Administrative and Personnel Actions Sections, 9.1.1.1 and 9.1.1.2. It is in black and white. I hope that this information and documented resource is helpful. Make a copy of the AFI36-2905, Chapter 9 and sections that apply and carry it in your pocket at all time to educate your unit and other Airmen.

Crome45
Semper FI

i wish i had your Genetics Munashiimaru! and grats on your awesome taping! i had a very good activity level, about 6 months ago when i scored an 81 on my pt test!:) and you are right, adjusting to my now almost nill activity level is a must! i am on a diabetic eating routine to keep my blood sugar levels in a good spot. im not diabetic persay, but i don't want to develop it either! and im not trying to blame my illness for my increased waist size by any means! pt has been difficult with my pain level varying from 7-10 on a daily basis. im currently on elavil, with pain killers at night to keep me from waking up prematurly. also, im starting to question my metabolism being as im stationed in North Dakota. again, im scatter brained! my point being, i know what i can, and can't do, and thus why im asking about my MEB and possible demotion due to maybe failing the waist taping. i also asked for an extention to my test date, since im now starting to feel like i can actually do light cardio, pool, etc. i wish i taped at 26.5 lol, im a little jelous! :D

You are correct and another factual based information for Airmen who are on a current profile and MEB status are excempt from the take the FA. Google and research the following Air Force Instruction, AFI36-2905, Chapter 9. Administrative and Personnel Actions Sections, 9.1.1.1 and 9.1.1.2. It is in black and white. I hope that this information and documented resource is helpful. Make a copy of the AFI36-2905, Chapter 9 and sections that apply and carry it in your pocket at all time to educate your unit and other Airmen.

Crome45
Semper FI

I worked at numerous AF hospitals. Even with no PT profile, waist cannot be exempt. I had fibro too. They do not take meds into consideration. They feel diet can control it. I have seen members get a waist measurement postponed for 30-60 days. Usually from a psych doc, from gaining weight from depression meds. It depends on what your weight was before you started those meds, how long you have been on the meds, if your doctor is considerate enough to try to do this against commander's wishes, ect. ect. They will put you on a strict diet and in the weight program. So it also depends on how much weight you need to lose. Are you getting MEB'd?

Hope this helps...

Crome45
Semper FI