Can I be promoted if I am medically retiring?

syracusesoldier

Registered Member
Hey guys, I have a similar situation.So I got my DA FORM 199 for 50% Perm. I just signed it concur. So I’m assuming in about a Month I’ll get discharged orders/etc. I’m a E6 with almost 16 years in. About 5 was on Active Duty and now serving in the Guard. I just on the same day received selection notice for E7. I need to either accept it or decline it, but Either way without the school I’m not getting the promotion just the SSG(P). I’m not sure if this matters or helps in anyway when I get my final medical retirement? Thanks

Ocean

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I wish i could offer guidance but i cannot, i hope someone jumps in...officer and enlisted promotions seem to differ regarding the promotion process..wishing u the best!

JNM2002

Registered Member
To all,

There is a lot of great information coming out of this thread. I am currently going through the MEB, and I would like to (hopefully) get a jump on some of the issues...especially the promotion piece. As I said, I am currently going through the MEB and last I heard my NARSUM was drafted. I am an Air National Guardsman, with just over 26-years (enlisted and officer). I have been going through my MEB since August 2017, and have been promotable (to MAJ) since January 2018. I found out my promotion package went before the board but it was put on hold until my MEB is resolved and an Assignment Limitation Code (ALC) assigned. This is frustrating as my PEBLO and Active Duty Medical Staff informed me, going into this, I could still be promoted while going through the MEB, because the MEB generally takes a year or more to resolve. Unfortunately, I didn't request the guidance they were using to provide such a statement. So, here I am talking about a conversation from over a year ago. My question(s) is this. Can I still be boarded/promoted while going through the MEB? If so, can someone please provide me a good regulation I can use in establishing my case? It would be nice to establish TIG as a MAJ, while things continue to drag on.

Again, this forum has been very informative.

Thank you,

Jay

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello JNM2002,

Re: “Promotable”

I know little about officer promotions; but, for my three senior NCO level promotions, I was not considered to be in a promotable status until my records had been reviewed by a DA board, selected for promotion, and placed on the promotion list with a sequence number.

You mentioned you were promotable since January 2018. Were you advised you were selected and given a sequence number or was your packet set aside without action?

Unless you were flagged for some reason, it seems a selectee would move forward on a promotion list. Just speculation on my part..
Added: See post 11, this thread, by Tony292.

Several members of this board are retired officers and might be able to provide clarification. They include @chaplaincharlie,
@tony292, @Warrior644, @Jason Perry

Good luck,
Ron

JNM2002

Registered Member
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your reply. Being a Guardsman, my position number permits me to be promoted up to O-4, as long as all my requirements (PME, TIG, TIS, etc) are satisfied, and leadership feels there is no reason not to promote. So basically, I submit my promotion package and the Wing conducts a "paper" board. Once they all agree the package looks good, they then route the package to State, then on to Fed Rec. Currently, the package is stuck at the "paper" board, and has been set aside without action. The problem is, there is no regulation that comes right out and states "airmen are promotable during the MEB process."

According to the regs:

ANGI 36-2504 FEDERAL RECOGNITION OF PROMOTION IN THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD (ANG) AND AS A RESERVE OF THE AIR FORCE BELOW THE GRADE OF GENERAL OFFICER
3.3. Eligibility Requirements.
Nominees’ for Federal recognition of a position vacancy promotion, who do not meet the requirements, will be returned to the State without action. The requirements are:
3.3.16. Nominees’ must be physically qualified for worldwide duty as determined by proper military medical authority and have a “Good Fit” score IAW ANGI 10-248, Air National Guard (ANG) Fitness Program. The State Air Surgeon may waive any 4T profile where competent military medical authority has determined the condition is self-limited, non-systemic, and should be resolved with the member being returned to worldwide duty status within one year (e.g., pregnancy).

Once the MEB/PEB process started, my "physically qualified for worldwide duty" code was stripped. The "paper" board can't determine if I am physically qualified for worldwide duty without a code...so the package has been set aside. BTW, I do have a "Good Fit" score with the fitness events in which I can participate.

AFI 36-2501 OFFICER PROMOTIONS AND SELECTIVE CONTINUATION
Attachment 2 PROMOTION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
A2.5. Promotion Ineligibility.
Officers are not eligible for consideration by a selection board if they:
A2.5.4. Have been determined by the SECAF to be unfit to perform the duties of the office or grade because of physical disability.

Although I "may" be slightly biased. My thoughts are this: Until I have been found to be physically unfit...I should be considered physically fit and qualified for worldwide duty.

Again, any assistance, from a legal/officer/medical perspective is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jay

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">