Can I fight for retirement after medically separated?

CHIEFWO

Registered Member
I m getting separated from the service for medical reasons. I have 18 and few months active service / 21 yrs total service (Regular Army/ National Guard). I got my PEB result in September. Finding was unift for duty. It's devastating for me, spent half of my life in the military and suddenly this happens. My PEB case manager gave me a day to decide if I want to appeal or not, but I asked for a week to make my decision. Its hard decision to make, take the lump sum or fight for retirement 2 more years. With the lump sum, it will help me out financially as I am having financial issues. I will be able to pay off all my debts and with extra to start a business, plus 90 percent VA Disability. With retirement, I will have Tricare for life for the family, retirement, and VA.

It was a hard decision to make, considering my financial situation. I talked to the family and we decided to not appeal it and take the separation. My question is, since I have 21 yrs total yrs of service, do I get the guard retirement or fight for it since I will be repaying the severance pay anyway?

NOTE: I appealed the first part of the process of MEB but was denied. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">