Can I sell back my 9 years 8 months of service after medically retired.

Kgordo22

Registered Member
I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't seem to find any answers to this question. I was medically retired in September from the Navy after 9 years and 8 months of active duty. I'm looking to get a federal job and was wondering if I could sell back my time. I'm not taking any retirement back, only VA compensation pay. Any answers or guidance would be a great help.

Padgettra

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't seem to find any answers to this question. I was medically retired in September from the Navy after 9 years and 8 months of active duty. I'm looking to get a federal job and was wondering if I could sell back my time. I'm not taking any retirement back, only VA compensation pay. Any answers or guidance would be a great help.
This is a tricky one. I worked as a dual status military technician for over twenty years and dutifully bought back my deployment time each deployment, plus bought back my pre-civil service time for my basic training and technical school. I too have now been awarded a medical retirement. Most verbiage that I read indicates that my "bought" back time in support of FERS will not be credited once i apply for retirement. The OPM verbiage is words like "service time" will not be credited if you receive an active duty military retirement based on years of service. The Medical disability was not based on "years of service" yet on an injury or illness. This opens up a small glimmer of hope (also some combat rules). Yet, I will not be able to provide an answer until I apply for my FERS retirement once I reach years and age. If OPM (ABC-C) does not allow the bought back time, then they will give back my money. Another statement is that you can always waive your military retirement and have those years count towards your FERS retirement, yet I don't see where this is cost effective for most people. Sorry that I was no help, yet I still have hope to get an extra 2.5 years multiplier for my FERS retirement when the time comes. I will be interested in any other comments. I have riddled this to my retirement guy in HR and we still don't have a 100% answer. Ron P

Added:
Here is a link to the OPM page:

Additionally, HR is hosting a pre-retirement seminar 12 and 13 Feb 2019, so I will ask LifeSpan based out of Atlanta GA (retirement company) about this issue. The guy is Jerry Kidd and he is a retired Army CWO and has been doing retirement seminars for years and is a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">