Can medically retired soldier transfer educational benefits to child if served on 7 years?


Active Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
According to VA site, it looks like you have to commit to serving for 10 years in order to transfer your Post 911 Education benefits to child. If you are medically retired at 7 years, can you transfer benefit before you leave active duty?


Well-Known Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have also wondered this. To my knowledge, no exception exists. Although, I think that it should.


PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member

This issue is discussed by the VA at Transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits | Veterans Affairs <---link
Recommend you call the education call center. The number is at the bottom of this post.

Can I transfer benefits?

You may be able to transfer education benefits if you’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and you meet the following requirements.
All of these must be true:
  • You've completed at least 6 years of service on the date your request is approved, and
  • You agree to add 4 more years of service, and
  • The person getting benefits has enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
For assistance:

Education Call Center:

888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1)

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">