script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Can my case be reviewed?

Chief RonDale

Registered Member
So here's my story..... I was Active, I was Guard, and also a Military Technician. 21 + years (Only 12 active) and out on a Med board. My deal is, I was rated below 30% (VA and DoD) so no benefits only choice of separation pay or NG retirement from the military side. Technician side I received the standard 60%/40% annuity... can't make over 80% of last wage grade blah blah blah. Five years later, that % that made me unfit is now 50%. Can I go back and ask the med board or PEB to review my case?

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So here's my story..... I was Active, I was Guard, and also a Military Technician. 21 + years (Only 12 active) and out on a Med board. My deal is, I was rated below 30% (VA and DoD) so no benefits only choice of separation pay or NG retirement from the military side. Technician side I received the standard 60%/40% annuity... can't make over 80% of last wage grade blah blah blah. Five years later, that % that made me unfit is now 50%. Can I go back and ask the med board or PEB to review my case?

Your 60/40 annuity is based off your high three as a technician. You should have received a retirement book from OPM retirement services. If not, you can request a replacement book from Services Online. This calculated your high three salary and will establish what 80% of your high three can be calculated from. I believe you have the option when you turn of retirement age [60], to select which ever retirement is higher, disability or normal. Maybe a SME will chime in a clarify.

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you think your case was processed incorrectly you can appeal to the Board for Correction of Military Records. The board normally takes a couple years to get to your case but they could possibly change your DOD% to the 50% and then would make you eligible for the Military medical retirement and Tricare. its a long process and you will have to prove that your condition should have been rated 50% at the time of the board.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You can only appeal the decision if your percentage of disability should have been at or greater than 30% at the time of separation. A conditions that was properly rated, then got worse over time does not make one retirement eligible.