Can the Marine Corp hold me this long

Marine0341

Registered Member
Hello to everyone. i would like to start by saying i have read around and i think this is a very helpfull sight.

i have a quik question thouhg.

i have been in the Marines for 8 years 6 months.

my EAS was supposed to be Dec 1st 2009 but my EAS has been 9'd out (my eas now reads 99999999) since Nov 20th i believe.

i am currently waiting for my results to come back from the board.

i am not in the Wounded Warrior Bn.

Technically to my understanding i can not be considered on Med Hold since the definition in MARADMIN 0636/09 states- MEDICAL HOLD. TEMPORARY LIMITED DUTY (TLD) STATUS OF A MARINE TO REMAIN ON ACTIVE DUTY BEYOND EAS TO RECEIVE MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR SERVICE CONNECTED INJURIES, ILLNESSES AND/OR DISEASES BASED UPON CMC (MMSR-4) RECEIPT AND APPROVAL OF A VALID AMEB(R) WHICH CLEARLY INDICATES MEDICAL CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS, PROGNOSIS FOR RECOVERY OR THE RECOMMENDATION TO PROCESS THROUGH THE DISABILITY EVALUATION SYSTEM (DES) VIA THE PEB

seeing as how i am not awaiting treatment and i can not fully recover from my injury (i have TBI) then technically im not on med hold.

so i was wondering what can i do. i have heard rumors that i should have been sent home awaiting orders by my command. that they are not allowed to retain me in my office and have to send me home.

sorry if i do not have to many details like some may have. i have a killer migrain and i have a meeting to go to in a few minutes.

thank you all for your help.

Marine0341,

Welcome! It is possible to waive DES processing and be separated. However, almost always, this is not in your best interest. It sounds like you are on medical hold for the last part of the sentence "OR THE RECOMMENDATION TO PROCESS THROUGH THE DISABILITY EVALUATION SYSTEM (DES) VIA THE PEB."

I am basing the above on your statement that you are awaiting results. In some cases, after a PEB finding, you can request home awaiting orders.

I hope all goes well for you. Best of luck.

I don't have answers for your Med Hold comment, how often do you have migraines? Are you keeping a diary on them? Have you been evaluated for PTSD?

Yea I have been diagnosed with chronic PTSD as well. It's all in my packet and awaiting the green light to get out. My MSgt and GySgt see me everyday looking like crap due to migrains and they don't seem to care as long as my work gets done. I've started to not care about the work though and maybe once they catch on then they will find mr that replacement I've heard so much about since last October.

You should keep a diary of your migraines, how severe, did you have to lay down, go to the ER, etc. It will help with your rating. As far as the PTSD, my husband is 100% P/T with the VA. He has been told the migraines seem to be somehow connected to PTSD, so is high blood pressure. So he takes meds for the high blood pressure and it actually seems to help his PTSD symptoms.

If you haven't been to the VA you should go. Take any documents that prove service connection, medical records etc.

My husbands command treated him like yesturdays trash once he wasn't able to play anymore, be carefull they don't try to get you to violate any profile they have you on till your outa there. It sucks that they keep people in limbo. Good luck to you

All,
I must say I am feeling the effects of this MEB process. I spoken to a few close friends and it might just be my own personal thing but my command is not the best at being concerned with your conditions, they just want you to not make them look bad. This whole limbo thing has be very short tempered and I can honestly see it affecting me lately and I have no idea how to keep my attitude in check much anymore. It’s been 11 months since my surgery and started my MEB in Oct 09 and they planned to have everything done by July but I still haven’t even signed my package yet. I know many people have had to undergo this for as long as couple years but to each his own. I wish you guys all the best at holding your own and being patient because it’s much harder for some of us who wish to get out and continue our lives doing other things.

Scorp

Scorp,

Hang in there! These words may not mean much, but I think they are true. You have served honorably and were injured in service to our great Nation. The disability evaluation system can be tough on anyone, but for those whose cases take a long time, it can be especially hard. But you can make it through this and move on to the next chapter in your life. Do the best you can, even when your superiors or peers are not recognizing their poor attitude or leadership. Rely on the strength you have and if that is spent, try to take some strength from your friends, family and the pride in what you have endured. There are many here on this site who are going through similar circumstances and are willing to talk to you. Don't do anything to hurt yourself or your future and realize that in the years to come this difficult time will be a distant memory. You and the others on this site who are enduring not only their disabilities but the difficulties in the system are among the finest people that make the United States the great country that it is.

I hope things go well and you move through the rest of the process quickly. Thanks for sharing your hardship.

I totally agree with Jason, If it gets too much, tell them, my husband has been going through his since 8-07. It gets REALLY hard on him. It totally sucks. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICES!

Scorp,

Hang in there! These words may not mean much, but I think they are true. You have served honorably and were injured in service to our great Nation. The disability evaluation system can be tough on anyone, but for those whose cases take a long time, it can be especially hard. But you can make it through this and move on to the next chapter in your life. Do the best you can, even when your superiors or peers are not recognizing their poor attitude or leadership. Rely on the strength you have and if that is spent, try to take some strength from your friends, family and the pride in what you have endured. There are many here on this site who are going through similar circumstances and are willing to talk to you. Don't do anything to hurt yourself or your future and realize that in the years to come this difficult time will be a distant memory. You and the others on this site who are enduring not only their disabilities but the difficulties in the system are among the finest people that make the United States the great country that it is.

I hope things go well and you move through the rest of the process quickly. Thanks for sharing your hardship.
Jason,
I appreciate those kind and true words of hope and strength. Im really hoping this will end soon and i hope to have my package off by the 2nd of april as they say it should be.I am actually off now to my hopefully last appointment with my Endocronologist and i already had my final PCM visit 3 day ago. I will post all relevant timeline events in the April thread as they occur.Thanks again and Im also rooting for all those going through similar times. Keep the faith!

Scorp