Can you change a honorable separation to a retirement?

allyspony13

Registered Member
I've spent over 17 years active duty Air Force and was medically separated and given a severance pay. My rating at the time of separation was 50% and now I'm at 70%. Is this a possibility? What exactly do I need to do?

Let's take a moment to look at something, cause something isn't right.

The Air Force rated you at 50% and gave you a severance?

What year are you talking about? And for what condition? There are a lot of ways to get this corrected, but some more details are needed to know which road to send you down.

I've spent over 17 years active duty Air Force and was medically separated and given a severance pay. My rating at the time of separation was 50% and now I'm at 70%. Is this a possibility? What exactly do I need to do?
It depends on what your unfitting conditions were or should have been. If those conditions warrant a VA rating of 30% or higher, then you have a strong case for a medical retirement. Remember, your overall VA rating is not what DoD is concerned about. They apply the VA rating for those conditions which rendered you unable to perform your military duties. Also, you would need to show that you met the 30% or greater threshold when separated, rather than now.

Your appeal would be the Court of Claims or Board for Correction of Military Records. The Discharge Review Board (DRB) does not have the authority to assign a medical retirement.