Can you file for SSDI and get retirement?

thepencilthief

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
We're new to this. Husband has been in for 20 yrs (almost) so he'll get his retirement pension. Does the pension disqualify the SSDI? He won't be able to work when he gets out, he can barely work now and I drive him to/fro and help support him when he brings work home (like type for him etc). Just wondered if he could receive his pension/whatever VA payment he gets--likely 50% rating (ish) and then SSDI? I am his primary caregiver so I know I can apply for compensation for that too.
Thanks

My_View

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
No it does not disqualify him he can receive retirement, VA and SSDI. If he will only be at 50% VA not sure how SSDI will interpret that rating but they will also look at all his impairments. If he has medical problems that warrant disabilities he may want to try and increase his VA rating so he can apply for IU (Individual Unemployability) with the VA and get paid at the 100% rate. To apply for IU you have to have either one condition rated at 60% or 2 or more conditions rated at 70% with one of the conditions being at least 40% alone. Is your husband being medical boarded or is he retiring and applying for VA benefits?

thepencilthief

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Med boarded. He'll have a pension however it's NOT at all enough to live off of whatsoever.

I was guessing on the 50%. I don't know....he has so many things however I keep seeing how folks get back low ratings. He has way too much fatigue and was out of work totally from Oct 15-Jan 2 and now is on limdu for 6 months and only goes to work for 3 hrs and is wiped out (office job). Maybe he'll have a higher percentage.

About SSDI though--I thought they rate you differently than the VA ratings? If he only gets 50-60% they'll assume he's "ok"? I hate to say it, he just doesn't have issues that rate high on the VA scale. For instance MS--only gets you 30%, he has neuropathy--probably will get 10-% for his right side. (He can't drive or write well now) and is in daily chronic pain. He has tinnitis (10%) etc. He isn't diagnosed with "chronic fatigue" however has horrible fatigue which is noted in his med record. If it's not formally diagnosed will it count as chronic fatigue. It's been killer for him!

My_View

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Has your husband been found unfit yet? If so he should apply now for SSDI. Each branch should have someone that will guide him through the process. He should be able to file under the wounded warrior option and that will get his case expedited. Search SSDI and wounded warrior and it will explain process. And to answer your question "no" SSDI doesn't go off of VA ratings but I do think it carries some weight if you are at a higher percentage rating.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
First, you can get SSDI, military retirement and VA benefits in some cases.

Second, you can claim everything you have when you apply for VA benefits. So your husband can claim chronic fatigue. The VA will not allow you to double dip for the same set of symptoms (they call it pyramiding). As an example I had chronic fatigue but my primary issues was heart failure. Heart failure causes fatigue that is chronic, but not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Start now listing all of your husbands conditions. From small conditions to more serious conditions, head to toe. Claim them all and let the VA sort it out.

thepencilthief

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This might be a stupid question, but...applying for SSDI-can I do it in CA even though after all of this is said and done and we get our final orders to move to where we'll retire too--do we have to reapply in the new state? Our meeting with the WWP is soon so I can hopefully learn more from them as well. Thanks for all the info!

Beergod0352

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Your hubby will be racking in enough. I mean military retirement and the VA ain't that bad. Better than us poor bastards that get the boot at 17+.
He will be doing his part with VA,Military,SSDI.

The Dependa might have to get a job. Just an idea. Didn't say that to be that mean. However, it's pretty funny for 5:40 am

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
We're new to this. Husband has been in for 20 yrs (almost) so he'll get his retirement pension. Does the pension disqualify the SSDI? He won't be able to work when he gets out, he can barely work now and I drive him to/fro and help support him when he brings work home (like type for him etc). Just wondered if he could receive his pension/whatever VA payment he gets--likely 50% rating (ish) and then SSDI? I am his primary caregiver so I know I can apply for compensation for that too.
Thanks
Because he has been in for almost 20 years, then it is more than likley he has enough QCs to qualify for SSDI based upon retirement. Because of this, he can collect both SSDI and his military retirement, if he qualifies for SSDI.

If he had less than 40 QCs, (worked less than 10 years) then his SSDI award would be based on SSI and he would more than likely not be eligible based upon the income from the retirement (SSI is a needs based program).

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Yes you can apply wherever you are living without regard to where you want to live in the future. ,

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">