Can't Decline and keep TPU retirement?

BA_Scofield

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It seems like I will probably be medically discharged in approx. 6 months with 18 1/2 years active from AGR (USAR) for depression. Currently in MEB only a few appointments left.

I'm 57 y/o and have 30+ years total service and 7,500+ retirement points.

If I were TPU I would be able to decline the medical retirement compensation and keep the TPU retirement and also draw VA compensation.

Can I decline as an AGR? It doesn't seem like it. It doesn't seem like an option for AGR. I feel like I would do better financially in the long run with the TPU retirement. I seems strange that the 20 year letter I got about 10 years ago is not an option.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Seems like you actually have a couple things going on here. There was guidance recently issued on turning down an active duty retirement and taking a non-regular retirement, but I don’t think that’s what you are asking. Next, other than a Chapter 61 retirement, you are not eligible for an immediate retirement. If you are medically retired, you will be credited with just under 21 years of service. They will count all of your 7500 points in calculating retired pay. So, why would you want to waive retired pay now in order to receive the exact same thing in 3 years?

Thanks, I was thinking the TPU retirement would enable me to collect full VA entitlement. So basically collect both.

It seems like I will probably be medically discharged in approx. 6 months with 18 1/2 years active from AGR (USAR) for depression. Currently in MEB only a few appointments left.

I'm 57 y/o and have 30+ years total service and 7,500+ retirement points.

If I were TPU I would be able to decline the medical retirement compensation and keep the TPU retirement and also draw VA compensation.

Can I decline as an AGR? It doesn't seem like it. It doesn't seem like an option for AGR. I feel like I would do better financially in the long run with the TPU retirement. I seems strange that the 20 year letter I got about 10 years ago is not an option.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
So here's the deal. You are in a great situation! If they rate you 30% or more for the unfitting condition then military will medically retire you. You will get the higher rate of the 2 outcomes which are 52% (estimating this based on 7500 points divided by 360 times 2.5%) or if rated higher than 50% such as 60% or more for the disability. If however, you are rated less than 30% you will be offered severance which you can DECLINE. If you decline then you will be discharged and you will only have to wait 3 years until age 60 to collect your TPU retirement. During these 3 years you will be able to receive VA disability in the meantime. Side Note: If they medically retire you please apply for TPU retirement 6-12 months before age 60 to get CRDP. Since you have a 20 year letter you can collect VA disability and your retirement:)

So bottom line you are in a great position and all outcomes are very good. My wife is AGR but only with about 15 years of active duty time and she is very young. If they rate her less than 30% for her unfitting conditions she would decline severance and would have to wait 23 years to collect here TPU retirement. So for her is very important to get rated 30% or higher to medically retire.