Caregiver Program

Bama78

Registered Member
I am rated 100% P&T with PTSD and MDD--plus I have a separate Heart issue that required me to get a valve replacement--I alo spent 45 days in an impatient care facility for PTSD--

I am a Gulf War Veteran and plan on applying for the VA Caregiver program--My wife and adult daughter would be my caregiver--as they already do this--

Is the VA still doing a home visit or do they do this by video?

Anything special I should do to help my approval outcome--

Based on the avove--should I be approved for the program?

Hello @Bama78

From the VA:

More information can be obtained by calling the VA at: 1-855-260-3274

The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) is for eligible Veterans who have incurred or aggravated a serious injury in the line of duty on or before May 7, 1975 or on or after September 11, 2001. This program provides resources, education, support, a financial stipend, and health insurance (if eligible), beneficiary travel (if eligible), to caregivers of eligible Veterans.

Veterans may be eligible for this clinical program if they:

Sustained or aggravated a serious injury serious injury (now includes serious illness) in the line of duty on or before May 7, 1975 or on or after September 11, 2001; and meet both of the following criteria to be eligible for PCAFC. Among other applicable eligibility criteria, the Veteran must:
  1. Have a single or combined service-connected disability rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of 70% or more. This requirement is included in the definition of “serious injury;” and
  2. Be in need of personal care services (requiring in-person personal care services) for a minimum of six continuous months based on any one of the following:
- an inability to perform an activity of daily living (ADL)
- a need for supervision, protection, or instruction.

For more information on these changes, please see Fact Sheet. <---LINK

Good luck,

Ron

Last edited:
Clarification: I am 100% P&T for PTSD and MDD--

I have a heart condition (heart valve replacement)--and have a weak heart--

It is my understanding that even though the heart issue is not service connected the VA takes that into consideration along with my service connected disability-- Because of my heart I fall often--due to Bradycardia--

I plan on filing the form October 1st for the VA Caregiver program--does anyone have any advice?

I would call the VA at: 1-855-260-3274 and present my questions.

You can also use the search button at the upper right of most pages in this forum.
Recommended search term: Caregivers

Unfortunately, I don’t remember any questions about that subject on this board, but I might have overlooked one or more since that is not my expertise.

Good luck,
Ron

There are several discussions about the caregiver program at this site: LINK <---

Ron

I would highly recommend that you join the Facebook group called “Veteran Warriors”. They are intimately involved with the PCAFC.

The PCAFC as a program as a whole is currently under a lot of turmoil and change.

You can PM with any questions about the program.

Ironically, the site I mentioned, recommends the site for which you provided a link. BTW, the link did not work for me (2x). I used SEARCH to find a URL that worked for VETERAN WARRIORS.

Ron