Cashing out annual leave

I want to cash out 60 days of annual leave. How do you do that? Who do you contact? Or does it simply get paid to you if not used by your retirement date? My retirement date is 31 AUG 2020 and Ill have 60+ days of unused leave then. Please advise

I want to cash out 60 days of annual leave. How do you do that? Who do you contact? Or does it simply get paid to you if not used by your retirement date? My retirement date is 31 AUG 2020 and Ill have 60+ days of unused leave then. Please advise
Back in the Stone Age (1991 and before) we paid it automatically when computing the final pay. The soldier did not approach us about the matter. Again, this was long ago. Sixty days was the max back then. I suspect they have changed the law about the number of days payable...due to continuing deployments.

Ron

I was paid out for 60 days in 2016. No action required. Received payment on the next pay cycle (15th).

You will not be paid anything over 60 days, those days will be forfeited.

Yes, it is the same. You can only cash out 60 days during your whole carrer. Remember, you only get base pay and is taxed close to 30%. Last year i would had told you you are crazy for selling it. But with the covid (you know what i’m saying), i’m selling all mine too. Around the same time frame. I heard (havn’t bothered on researching it) that also because of the covid use or lose is off this year.

They will give you that option be mindful if you cash out your leave it does not include your BAH it’s your base pay after taxes and deductions

Hello @Antonio33

Leave info:

Ref: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 35

3502 ACCRUED LEAVE PAY

"2. Career Leave Payment Limitation of 60 days a. A Service member is entitled to receive payment for no more than 60 days of accrued leave during a military career. Payments for unused accrued leave made before that date will be excluded from this 60-day limitation. b. A Service member eligible for an unused accrued leave settlement is authorized an election with regard to payment or carryover of the leave. The member may elect to receive payment for a portion of the unused leave, not to exceed a career total of 60 days, and to have the remaining accrued leave carried forward to a new or extended enlistment. The total of paid and carried forward leave may exceed 60 days "

"3. One-Time Leave Payment. An enlisted member of the Armed Forces who would lose accumulated leave in excess of the 120 days in subparagraph 350202.B.2 may elect to be paid for such leave up to 30 days. This election can only be taken once during a career. This leave payment does apply against the 60 days of leave paid during a career as stated in subparagraph 350201.A.2. This one-time payment exception applies to members who:
a. Serve on active duty for a continuous period of at least 120 days in an area in which the member is entitled to hostile fire pay/imminent danger pay; b. Are assigned to a deployable ship or mobile unit, or to other duty designated by the Secretary of the Military Department concerned as qualifying; c. Are performing duty designated by the Secretary of Defense (SecDef) as qualifying duty; or d. Serve on active duty in a duty assignment in support of a contingency operation. "

Item 4, same reference, discusses the exception in more detail.

https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07a/07a_35.pdf <---LINK

Ron

When I met with the personnel folks to set up a last day of AD, they ask me what I wanted to do about unused leave. I did not sell mine, but they did all the paperwork for me. I just signed.

If you're medically retired can you just use your remaining balance as terminal leave?

If you're medically retired can you just use your remaining balance as terminal leave?
Yes, as chaplaincharlie indicated: "When I met with the personnel folks to set up a last day of AD, they ask me what I wanted to do about unused leave. I did not sell mine, but they did all the paperwork for me. I just signed. "

Ron

I am navy and Med with our personnel dept today. They told me anything I don’t use will be paid out automatically with no action on my part. See Ron’s guidance above for details

Check with your peblo, because mine wants us to get down to about 35 days. Remember, you are authorized 20 ptyd and entitled travel time. These are days that you are not going to be charged for and can cause you to have to sell more.