CHAMPVA vs TRICARE

Viblyadok228

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good evening fellas, can somebody break it down for me cuz I’m a little bit confuse between this two, I’m 100% p&t vet , 70% pdrl on dod side, can somebody simply explain to me difference between this two insurances for my spouse, I know you can’t have both, so I have to pick one, but I just don’t understand what’s a difference besides maximum cap per year, am I paying for both? Or one of them free, sorry for stupid questions.

JMATTK

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Also, to add to that, Tricare is much better. Some Vets have talked about waiting a year to get enrolled in champVA.

Viblyadok228

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Also, to add to that, Tricare is much better. Some Vets have talked about waiting a year to get enrolled in champVA.
What you mean if I have a choice? I thought if you 30% and up from DoD which makes you medically retired, you qualified for Tricare as well as your dependents, am I wrong?

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What you mean if I have a choice? I thought if you 30% and up from DoD which makes you medically retired, you qualified for Tricare as well as your dependents, am I wrong?
Pick Tricare for your spouse. It's a no brainer. Tricare is much better.

JMATTK

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Choice was the wrong word. If you’re eligible for Tricare you’re not eligible for ChampVA despite being 100%.