Chapter 31 VocRehab BAH question

7LVL

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am in my second semester of college since switching from Post 9/11 to Ch.31 but I don't think I'm receiving the correct BAH stipend. When I sat down with my VRE counselor and signed my contract I was told that my BAH rate minimum was locked in at the current rate at that time. This year the BAH rate went down for my school zip code but I thought I was still receiving the correct amount. February is my first complete month at school for 2014 but my BAH is showing that I'm receiving the new lower rate. Is this correct? Was my counselor blowing smoke up my ass when she told me it could not be lowered? Calculating the difference it could just be that there are only 28 days this month but from my understanding they pay on a 30 day monthly rate.

great question, technically it is not supposed to be lowered as long as there was no break in the payments. However, If you did not start getting paid until Jan, then I believe that the new rate is the correct one. I am not saying its right or wrong, but you cannot get BAH for an assignment you have until you actually move there and sign in, thats kind of how I am looking at it procedural wise. Now if your BAH rate is on your VRE contract, you may have something, or if you started school last year and you were paid the old amount, and there was no break in payments, you also should be getting the old rate.

No gurantee's I would call your VRE counselor and ask.

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1412/kw/Stipend rate increase rate or decrease

Here's one answer from the VA website:

"...If the BAH increased for your area, you will not see an increase until your September payment for training pursued in August. If the BAH decreases for your area, your MHA amount will not decrease unless you change schools or have more than a six-month break in training."

This answer was an updated answer to a VA FAQ website in June, 2013.

nwlivewire

Well I did not have a longer then normal break between classes. Last semester ended the 16th of Dec and this semester started the 6th of January.

Great program(ch. 31), I finished my school last August.

It sucks, they prorate the BAH for the actual days your in school to save money.

But you can get $60 extra school supplies(scantrons, map pencils, folders etc..) each semester, $30 for summer.
Ask for laptop or ipad with all in one printer, and no cap on books or required documents i.e. related software, drafting tools, etc...

So they base your BAH per day so months like February we will receive less than 30 day amount? Iirc they don't pay you extra on months that are 31 days long.