Chapter 61 & CRSC

Jimmyjet

Registered Member
I am a Chapter 61 Vietnam Vet. In 1970 I was wounded, lost a leg and have 8' of shrapnel wounds ,100% VA. I was in the Army for only 1 year & 5 months. I was an E-4. I applied for CRSC MARCH 1, 2019 . IN LESS THAN 2 MONTHS I RECEIVED MY FIRST CRSC PAYMENT.IT WAS 16 DOLLARS. ON MAY 22 I RECEIVED MY 6 YEARS OF BACK PAY. $1052.00. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSH** . I GUESS THAT THEY CAN GET IT DONE WHEN DON'T PAY YOU MUCH.

pineapplehead

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm so sorry to hear that Jimmyjet. There is no way that in today's world, that this is justified. I don't care how long ago it was. They need to come up with a special calculation for vets such as yourself.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm so sorry to hear that Jimmyjet. There is no way that in today's world, that this is justified. I don't care how long ago it was. They need to come up with a special calculation for vets such as yourself.
I agree of course...

Our elected representatives were responsible for the way the laws were written. Legislative activity on the issue of concurrent receipt began in the late 1980s and culminated in the provision for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) in the Bob Stump National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2003 (P.L. 107-314). Since then, Congress has added Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) for those retirees with a disability rated at 50% or greater, extended concurrent receipt to additional eligible populations, and further refined and clarified the program.

Conjecture:
1.416 years x 2.5% = 3.54% multiplier
Final pay (in this case) x 0.0354 = dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay and likely the amount of CRSC
Effective date unknown
231.60 (base pay, E4, 1970) x 0.0354 = $8.20 in 1970 dollars

Ron

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I believe chapter 61 couldn't get CRSC till 2008 16 dollars is a joke for what you sacrificed in combat.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ref: oddpedestrian's remarks

Effective January 1, 2008: Eligibility was extended to military disability retirees (i.e., Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code) and members retired under active duty TERA rules.

Effective January 1, 2013: The method for computing the monetary entitlement for members with military disability retirements under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code was changed to ensure no such members were disadvantaged from receiving an increased disability rating.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base).

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">