Children of deceased vet...do they get benefits?

octoberfest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Long story short a friend of mine has two children with a veteran who took his own life a few years ago. They were married for 14 years and as is too common he came back from Iraq a changed person. They went their separate ways and he took his own life later down the road (he was National Guard at the time). He was being seen through the VA for PTSD but she's not sure what his rating was or anything like that. Her children haven't received anything from the VA or the military, just SSI.

Are they entitled to anything? If so what would they be entitled to and where can I get more information on that. She filed a claim with a VA rep but it has been over a year (January 2015) and it's still being processed. Any information you guys can provide would be great or if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Josh

Yes, there are some survivor benefits available. http://www.va.gov/opa/persona/dependent_survivor.asp

I'd recommend that she visit the County VA office where she resides. They have veteran service officers that can assist her in applying for any benefits that his dependents are eligible for. In addition to the federal VA benefits, there may be state benefits too.

If he was National Guard, may have had SGLI. SGLI may cover death by suicide in some circumstances.

Additionally since he was in the reserves, there may be a military casualty officer that can assist his dependents in the claim.

I know the SGLI went to his father, not the kids. She has already gone to the VA rep and filed a claim but it's been over a year...I know they take a while, I've been dealing with the VA since 2004. The VA reap couldn't really explain what she was entitled to though.

I didn't even think about the KAO for the National Guard though. Good idea.

I know the SGLI went to his father, not the kids. She has already gone to the VA rep and filed a claim but it's been over a year...I know they take a while, I've been dealing with the VA since 2004. The VA reap couldn't really explain what she was entitled to though.

I didn't even think about the KAO for the National Guard though. Good idea.
Hmm, do you know if the children were absolutely not listed on the SGLI form at that point in time? :confused:

To that extent, if the children were listed on the SGLI form, then whatever allotted SGLI percentage of life insurance from the Servicemember would not have been given directly to the children if they were under the age of 18 (e.g., minors). Therefore, an adult would have to had been designated for receipt of the life insurance funds (e.g., maybe his father could have been designated); unless the entire SGLI disbursement process of funds has changed since I was last combat deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan in 2007 or my recall of SRP events aren't' accurate (which is definitely feasible unfortunately).

In retrospect, the Family Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (FSGLI) program coverage in the amount of $10,000 is automatically extended to the dependent Children of Servicemembers who are insured under the SGLI program. FSGLI provides $10,000 of insurance coverage for each dependent Child. As such, FSGLI for dependent Children is free without any additional premium required for this coverage, and it cannot be reduced, declined, or cancelled.

Moreover, Spouses of married Servicemembers who are covered under SGLI are automatically covered under FSGLI albeit the Servicemember may reduce, decline or cancel the spouse coverage by completing SGLV Form 8286A and submitting the form to their uniformed service.

Otherwise, Spouses who are insured under the FSGLI program have the option to convert Spousal Coverage to an individual policy of insurance within 120 days from any of the following events:
  • The date the Servicemember elects in writing on SGLV Form 8286A to terminate coverage on the Spouse;
  • The date the Servicemember elects to terminate his or her own SGLI coverage on SGLV Form 8286;
  • The date of the Servicemember's death;
  • The date the Servicemember separates from service; or
  • The date the Servicemember divorces the Spouse.
Hence, do you know if the above FSGLI program option was afforded to your friend at that particular time for any of the aforementioned applicable events? Acceptance or denial of any potential FSGLI Spousal Coverage conversion should have been her (your friend's) decision, not the servicemember due to their unfortunate personal situation at that particular point in time.

In my opinion, indeed, FSGLI is a mute issue and probably the SGLI too for the children at this point. Albeit, I just wanted to share some additional information since it continues to bother me to read personal situations like this. Take care! :(

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited: