Choices available

zinjasub

Registered Member
If the referring condition comes back at 30% or more and you are at 15 years of service; can you elect to deny the retirement and choose the severance? I understand all the benefits but looking at all options for my family right now.

If the referring condition comes back at 30% or more and you are at 15 years of service; can you elect to deny the retirement and choose the severance? I understand all the benefits but looking at all options for my family right now.
Hello,

No.

10%-20% = severance pay
30% or more = retired pay

If your longevity multiplier is greater than the disability multiplier, the initial computation of your retired pay will use the longevity multiplier.
In your case and if 15 years is all active duty or active duty equivalent, then: 15 x 0.025 = 37.5% is the longevity multiplier

Multiplier x average high three base pay = retired pay

Ron

Hello,

No.

10%-20% = severance pay
30% or more = retired pay

If your longevity multiplier is greater than the disability multiplier, the initial computation of your retired pay will use the longevity multiplier.
In your case and if 15 years is all active duty or active duty equivalent, then: 15 x 0.025 = 37.5% is the longevity multiplier

Multiplier x average high three base pay = retired pay

Ron

What does the longevity multiplier have to do with it? My VA rating is 100%

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, the longevity multiplier might be used in conjunction with the computation of retired pay. I said nothing about the multiplier being used for VA compensation.

Comment and example:
Example: If your DoD disability retirement percentage is 30% and your longevity percentage is 37.5%, then 37.5% would be used to determine the amount of your retired pay by:
Average high three x 0.375 = retirement pay

Example of VA offset/reduction/waiver:
Retired pay 2000; VA comp 3000
2000 minus 3000 = zero retired pay

Another:
Retired pay 3000; VA comp 2000
3000 minus 2000 = 1000 residual retired pay

Ron

Got it. Thank you.

Back to my original question though. Can I deny the Medical Retirement option and op for Medical Discharge even though I meet the requirements for Medical Retirement?

Ron did answer it.

No

As RaiderX indicated, my reply included:

"Hello,

No.

10%-20% = severance pay
30% or more = retired pay "

Ron