Chondromalacia patellar - Need Advice

SeniorAirman

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So MEB came back and said to proceed with full MEB process for my right knee. I just saw my VA Rep and got my paperwork that the military is looking at Patellar Chrondromalacia for my right knee. I have had 2 knee surgerys. The first the cut part of my knee cap bone along with tendons and tissue and then moved my knee cap/knee/ and also the "shin bone" over and stuck screws in to hold into place. The second surgery was a yr and a qtr later to remove the hardware due to the top screw backing out after 6 months (I informed them but the doc who i saw for my surgery was deployed so had a new doc till he got back and she didnt want to do anything for it, told me pretty much to suck it u0p even though i had a screw trying to break through the incision on my knee and I was/am in a lot of pain).

Im asking to see if anyone knows where i can find a reference to look and see what percentage of disability I will receive if the IPEB continues with the process (per my PEBLO I have over a 90% chance of them proceeding and seperating/retireing me) Right now im waiting to hear from the VA hospital so they can look over my knee ect. Any info on this would be great. Ive tried looking in the eCFR but I wasnt for sure how to classify this.

depends on your ROM (range of motion) and mobility, not so much the pain. So when you go to see the C&P doc, make sure your ROM is appropriately annotated and how it affects your ability to do mundane tasks. They will bend and straighten your knee and see at what point the pain starts which affects ROM and mobility. The VSARD does give guidelines on percentages based on ROMs...good luck!

You now are in a new class of problems with the removal of your knee cap. I too had a knee cap removed and now have a disability rating for 30% for Vasrd 5257 knee, recurrent subluxation or instability severe. You will find that over time, your knee can lock up (because of friction) or drop without notice. Ensure you keep records of every fall that happens, as a result of my knee cap removal, I also lost feeling in my left fingers, hand, back of hand, tore up a shoulder, and etc. because of serious falls. Also, you are prone to damage your knee now more so than ever.. look to off loading braces to ensure the gap between your major bone structures in the knee remain just that.... gaped and not together.