Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (Want to continue serving)

Can I continue serving with this diagnosis?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

USMC03

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) last year, went on LIMDU 1 and was just re-evaluated and placed on LIMDU 2 this past week. I'm near remission, but with this type of leukemia the cancer never truly goes away (resistance/or cessation of drug therapy). It's likely treatment will be indefinite, but after 2-3 years of being in a low/undetectable state I could potentially get off the medication. It's been difficult finding other active duty members with this same diagnosis, but I'm hopeful posting here will still get me the answers I'm looking for. I'm not back to my old self quite yet, but I'd have no trouble passing a PFT/CFT.

My Questions:
1) Do I have to be on LIMDU solely based on the fact that I have to take medication daily?
2) If I go into remission, but still take medication is the MEB/PEB inevitable?
3) If I do end up on a PEB, would the fact that I can still pass physical fitness requirements and do my job, and have good a assessment from my command be enough to find me fit for continued service?

USMC03, I would be hesitant to predict but In addition to all your medical documents your Non medical assessment will be looked at. You have more control over that portion as you can discuss it in detail with the command and help them in putting together a solid write up. If you're found unfit it doesn't mean your finished per se. You'll have the opportunity to appeal as well as request PLIMDU. I would also be frank with the provider and ask them to hold off as long as possible to the end of your second period of LIMDU so that you have the opportunity to recover to the greatest extent that time will allow. HQMC has been pretty good about PLIMDU and TLIMDU if you are requesting to serve until the end of your contract and medical/command evidence supports the request as realistic. CML is about as serious as it gets so be prepared for the long fight with those that are making career decisions for you.
Semper Fi

CWOUSMC,
Thanks for taking the time and confirming (at least supporting) everything I've been reading up to this point. I can only convince myself so much of how things "should" work and the way I interpret things so your perspective is greatly appreciated.

USMC03, Hey one last word of advice that I thinks often gets overlooked/not included on the NMA.. If you received a promotion during the period you were on limdu make sure the command highlights that in the write up somewhere. It infers you're doing more than just getting along. You'll want them to emphasize and spell out that you were able to beat out some stiff competition for promotion in spite of your medical condition. That should help build the picture as to your potential for possible retention.

Good to know. I wasn't actually sure how promotions were affected in a LIMDU status.

Please see Chapter 15-6 paragraph 2
Change 140
NAVMED P-117

I was found Fit! With a strong NMA and command support, it can be done.