Clarity on PTDY and Terminal Leave

Protector_of_the_guardian

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm not sure if my PEBLO isn't explaining it to me well enough or I'm just not fully understanding it.

My question is when can I start packing up and leaving essentially with 20 days of PTDY and 21 days of leave. Do I choose my final date? I can clear post in a day since most everything is done. So is it as soon as I have orders in hand I can clear post and bounce? Or am I missing some logistics? Please provide clarity. Thank You.

From the Army Human Resources Command:

Q5: Are all Soldiers authorized Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) at transition?

A5:
No. Only active duty Soldiers retiring or involuntarily separating from military service are eligible for transition PTDY. It is not authorized to Soldiers who complete their time in service and ETS and is not authorized to officers resigning from active duty (REFRAD). It is not authorized to Soldiers who choose not to reenlist during their reenlistment window, and are later ineligible for continued service. It is an authorization, not an entitlement. PTDY is not appropriate, and is not authorized, to Soldiers who remain in the same residence and have already found post-military employment. Soldiers must have a need to either relocate or to conduct job search activities during the dates requested for transition PTDY.

Q6: Who is the approval authority for PTDY?

A6:
It depends on the reason for and the type of PTDY. See AR 600-8-10 for guidance.

Q7: Can Transition PTDY be taken in combination with ordinary leave?

A7: Yes, Soldiers taking the entire transition PTDY period as one absence may be granted transition (ordinary) leave without a duty day between the two periods of absence. For example: A Soldier completes final out and then uses transition PTDY as one trip and starts transition leave on the next day. There is no requirement to complete a duty day between the periods of absence, if they occur after final out. However, the Soldier must complete all out-processing and other transition requirements, including final out with Personnel and Finance, before departure on transition PTDY and leave. Passes, including weekend passes, cannot be granted after final out. Soldiers cannot be granted transition PTDY in increments after final out from their permanent duty station.

Q8: Can a Soldier be authorized PTDY in a series of trips and then begin transitional leave the next day?

A8:
No, Soldiers taking PTDY in a series of trips must have at least one duty day just before starting transition leave to "final out" with Personnel and Finance. The day of "final out" is a duty day.

Q9: Is there a mileage restriction on the distance a Soldier may travel while on pass?

A9
: No, AR 600-8-10 has no mileage restrictions. However, Commanders may establish a distance or commuting time for Soldiers on pass, based on safety and established recall requirements.

Recommend you check with your command.

Ron