COAD Question

Need help with the process because my PEBLO and lawyer give me two different answers.

I received my informal 199 back with 60%DOD, 100% VA Recommend Permanant medical retirement.

I am at 16 years, 5 months of active service. I wanted to put in for COAD and already have everything signed and ready to submit.

My lawyer told me I can't request COAD unless I exhaust all appeals. At this point, I don't disagree with the fact that I am unfit (had pulmonary embolism requiring lifelong anticoagulants) however; I don't want to drag this out for another 8 months.

Additionally, my lawyer was very blunt to let me know that my chances of COAD are not great. He said that usually COAD gets approved for 1-2 years. In my case, I am asking for over 3 years. I want to be done with all of this, but I need to make the right decision.

Question: Am I able to just accept my informal board ratings/decision and apply for COAD or do I in fact have to exhaust all appeals before being considered for COAD? I'm confused. Thank you so much in advance !

CrustyGrunt

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You can accept your board results. You don’t need to exhaust all appeals at all. You need to submit your completed COAD packet to your PEBLO within 7 days.

CrustyGrunt

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You need to submit your COAD packet to your PEBLO within 7 days of signing and accepting your results on your 199.

CrustyGrunt

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Also if COAD’s only got approved for 1-2 years they wouldn’t have it be an option for Soldiers with 15 but less than 20 years.

ChristyJ14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Also if COAD’s only got approved for 1-2 years they wouldn’t have it be an option for Soldiers with 15 but less than 20 years.
Exactly what I was thinking also. Either way, I did go ahead and agreed and submitting my COAD. I spoke with the chief of IDES here on Fort Gordon and he verified that I didn’t need to exhaust appeals to submit COAD. It was so frustrating to try and make a decision with incorrect/uncertain info! Thank you!

ChristyJ14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
UPDATE: I accepted findings and submitted COAD same day. It took about 1 month, and my packet was approved. I am retained on AD until July 2026.