Combat Action Medal

USAF90210

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time thread starter. I just started my C&P/DBQ exams. First was today, with MH. He was retired Army and in the initial interview asked about awards/decorations, which seemed odd. He then asked if I had a service equivalent to the Army Combat Action Badge. This seemed odd.

I explained, we have something similar, the AF Combat Action Medal. Explained I am eligible (if I were to apply), but have not applied. Explained my reasoning, which is I am not eligible due to ground combat. I am eligible due to AAA being directed at my aircraft. I explained I think the medal was created for those in direct combat, and though my circumstance meets the USAF's criteria and I have the documentation, I never applied because I think it cheapens the meaning of the medal.

That's the background... He said he recommends I get it. Saying that the people who look at these packages at the VA tend to be former Army and look for the CAB to signify the member's deployments were combat zones, not something like Kuwait.

Does anyone know if this has any validity? I would assume he is thinking it could affect a determination of combat related or not. I have 11 combat deployments in my record, so I don't think a medal (that's only visible on SURF/decorations list) would have any impact.

Thanks for any insight...

TexasTACP

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
An Airman can self nominate for an Army Badge now?

If so, bet Army folks will be thrilled!

To illustrate the difference between Army and AF to evaluators, I found it helpful to literally bring in a citation and read it aloud, so there is no ambiguity or confusion on what went down.

Unless you tell them any different Air Force = Chair Force when they look at service branch.

AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would assume he is thinking it could affect a determination of combat related or not. I have 11 combat deployments in my record, so I don't think a medal (that's only visible on SURF/decorations list) would have any impact.
The list of every ribbon/medal that is visible in vMPF, will also be visible on your DD214 once you're retired or separated.

TexasTACP

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
USAF 90210...lookey lookey, I guess one can try their hand at a CAB application post deployment, post service, sister service, & in several different scenarios.....I'd be very interested to see how an application fares for someone who is either retired or separated.....even more so to see the response to a blue suiter application

https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/Combat Action Badge CAB

USAF90210

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Sorry if I was confusing. I'm questioning the Dr's recommendation for me to get the USAF Combat Action Medal, under the thought that former Army members in the VA will see this equivalent to a CAB.

TexasTACP

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Doctors can be dumbfucks too, and in fact, the lowest bidder bullshit at the VA and fucks at QTC (Lockheed) are just that. I would recommend consulting independent counsel for advice to proceed. The power of the pen, with good timing, may be warranted.

eps17

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
YES - get the Air Force Combat Action Medal.

I was just awarded mine 10 years later. It doesn't cheapen anything as your aircraft could have absorbed AAA; and how many military members have paid the price for that since AAA was invented. A ton.

Hit up the NVLSP also. They can help.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">