Combat Coding for PTSD

Keishie

Registered Member
Greetings! I am currently going through the IDES process which is currently in the PEB phase awaiting for the VA to assign percentage and service connections to my claimed disabilities. The PEB sent me a preliminary informal memorandum stating they were finding me unfit for all the conditions the MEB listed me as being unfit for. I have not received the DA199 form yet. When the VA returns my ratings, they will then send me the final VA 199. One of the conditions I'm listed as unfit for is my PTSD. They listed the follow V codes next to my PTSD (V1 and V3 No, and V4 Yes). To my knowledge, the V4 code relates to severance pay for I don't qualify for as I have over 20 years, and it basically says the condition occurred while in a combat environment. I think it should be coded for one of the other combat related codes that designates my PTSD a combat related injury. I acquired PTSD from doing foreign military claims while deployed in Iraq from Dec 2009 to Dec 2010. I had to collect claims from Iraqis all over the Bagdad province who wanted monetary settlements due to the military either killing, blowing up, or severely injuring their family members and also for blowing up, occupying or damaging their property. They had to submit evidence to me in the form of pictures or live evidence for me to investigate, adjudicate and determine a monetary settlement to pay them for their claims. I saw hundreds of pictures of dead bodies of women, children, babies and men, I saw burnt to a crisp bodies of babies clinging to their mothers. In a lot of cases, the people came in showing the damage done them from dismangled arms, kids with half their heads and eyes sockets gone along with other body parts missing or severely damaged. I was threatened physically and verbally by them when I couldn't provide them any payment or if they weren't satisfied with how much I was paying them. They threatened to blow us up or shoot us! I was scarred shitless every time I had to go out to the collection points to deal with these people. I did this for the 13 months while I was deployed and upon return from deployment, I was having some serious mental issues that continues on to this present day.

Do you all think that my PTSD warrants a V1 or V3 code? Instrumentality of War or combat?

No, it doesn't that's because under DSM V they eliminated the fear-based criteria for PTSD and now want a confirmed stressor. For some odd reason, they will use DSM IV to service connect it but will state it isn't combat related... The DoD is more serious about it especially if you lack a stressor (CAB, valor award, etc) usually you can get the VA to state it's combat related but the services will not. Plenty have even put in BCMR claims trying to it changed to no avail.

By your story, it's clear you are service connected based on the fear-based criteria it does not prevent you from applying and receiving CRSC nonetheless.

You can apply for CRSC at a later date. As to what you warrant, never sell yourself short!

No, it doesn't that's because under DSM V they eliminated the fear-based criteria for PTSD and now want a confirmed stressor. For some odd reason, they will use DSM IV to service connect it but will state it isn't combat related... The DoD is more serious about it especially if you lack a stressor (CAB, valor award, etc) usually you can get the VA to state it's combat related but the services will not. Plenty have even put in BCMR claims trying to it changed to no avail.

By your story, it's clear you are service connected based on the fear-based criteria it does not prevent you from applying and receiving CRSC nonetheless.

It's not just fear, I can't look/see anything with dead bodies especially women and children without going nuts. I have nightmares about what I saw and halluciantions. It's no different than when you see your battle buddy get shot infront of you and what that does to your mind.

You are not understanding we are not talking about manifestations we are talking about the legal requirement to get a disability service connected and determine to be a combat injury. Looking at pictures or verbal threats from local nationals are not considered to be confirmed stressors from combat. How it affects your day to day life can still be rated up to 100% just like any other MH disability and you can still be entitled to CRSC but HRC MAY give you a hard time about it...maybe but I see no error in the boards call here on your combat codes.

CRSC is one of the least understood processes, I say apply and let the professionals make a decision. I've seen this go both ways: People who thought they were ineligible go approved and others who just knew they were eligible were denied.

Always apply for benefits. That gives the professionals a chance to say yes.

Keishie,

You mentioned, “ To my knowledge, the V4 code relates to severance pay for I don't qualify for as I have over 20 years, and it basically says the condition occurred while in a combat environment.”

If you have >= 20 years active duty and a VA rating of 50% or more, you are eligible for CRDP.

CRDP will allow you to receive your VA compensation and the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.
The dollar amount of the disability retirement pay and the longevity portion of retirement pay will not be restored by CRDP.

If you have “20 good years” as a reservist, the CRDP would not be paid until you meet the reserve retirement age requirement.

Ron

CRDP

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)
Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.
CRDP is a "phase in" of benefits that gradually restores a retiree's VA disability offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will gradually increase each year until the phase in is complete effective January 2014.

You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically.
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay [such as the age requirement for a reservist].
Ron

CRDP

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)
Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.
CRDP is a "phase in" of benefits that gradually restores a retiree's VA disability offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will gradually increase each year until the phase in is complete effective January 2014.

You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically.
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay [such as the age requirement for a reservist].
Ron
I know I am eligible for CRDP. I was more so concerned about the combat related V code to tax exemption for retiree pay.

It is good that you have that knowledge. I did not see CRDP mentioned in your posts so I thought the possibility should be brought to your attention.

Please note that CRSC does not restore (replace in the case of CRSC) the dollar amount of the disability portion of retirement pay.
Like CRDP, the payment cannot be more than the amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

It can be less if the approved CRSC rate equates to an amount less than the longevity portion of retirement pay.

Ron

It is good that you have that knowledge. I did not see CRDP mentioned in your posts so I thought the possibility should be brought to your attention.

Please note that CRSC does not restore (replace in the case of CRSC) the dollar amount of the disability portion of retirement pay.
Like CRDP, the payment cannot be more than the amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

It can be less if the approved CRSC rate equates to an amount less than the longevity portion of retirement pay.

Ron
Thank you Ron. I have no interest in applying for CRSC. Just wanted to know if my condition rated a combat code which would make a portion of my disability retirement pay tax exempt.