Combat Related Special Compensation and PTSD

I am 100% TDIU through the VA; 70% PTSD through the VA; and 70% PDRL via the AFBCMR (no conditions were designated combat-related at all, not even close, probably because I didn't request that they be considered as such when I filed)

Anyways, I just filed for CRSC through the Air Force, specifically, the AFW2 program. I have no CAB, Purple Heart, etc. however I did submit performance reports and medical records alluding to or stating rockets, mortars, dead bodies, wounded personnel, trailer blown up, etc. etc.

I am curious if this sort of source document evidence (even though the medical records are always questionable - and I was treated in Iraq for sleep problems and PTSD symptoms when this was all happening); I'm just really wondering how my package will play out. I was assigned to the US Embassy in Baghdad with the Marines, even though I was USAF Security Forces, and we had over 330 IDF attacks on top of suicide bombers, etc. during my tenure there in 2007.

Did your conditions state "Gulf War Incurred" on your VA letter?

Negative. Just combat related; which equates to nothing of significance to the USAF CRSC office; which has been reportedly the most stringent branch when it comes to awarding CRSC.

I have only 10 years active-duty and got out I also have combat action ribbon with actual comebat where We have had to fire at the enemy and they fired at us do I qualify for CSRC with a 100% Ptsd p&t do to combat

Shed,

DFAS discusses CRSC at https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

The Army has an excellent CRSC site at https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/CRSC Contact Us

The other services have CRSC sites as well.

Recommend you apply; the worst that can happen is that your application is denied.

If you were claiming disabilities associated with an award of the Purple Heart or were “presumptively caused...” like cancer from exposure to Agent Orange, I would offer a stronger statement. Otherwise, I am not qualified to offer a forecast of likely approval.

Ron

I have only 10 years active-duty and got out I also have combat action ribbon with actual comebat where We have had to fire at the enemy and they fired at us do I qualify for CSRC with a 100% Ptsd p&t do to combat

Are you retired from the military?

That is an excellent question since CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay for approved combat related disabilities.

As the DFAS reference shown above (DFAS) explains:
To qualify for CRSC you must:

be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
—be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
—waive your VA pay from your retired pay
—file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Ron

I have only10 years active-duty and got out I also have combat action ribbon with actual comebat where We have had to fire at the enemy and they fired at us do I qualify for CSRC with a 100% Ptsd p&t do to combat
no I only did 10 years and got out

I have only10 years active-duty and got out I also have combat action ribbon with actual comebat where We have had to fire at the enemy and they fired at us do I qualify for CSRC with a 100% Ptsd p&t do to combat

no I only did 10 years and got out
No I did 10 years

No I did 10 years
The reason Ed Mercanti asked if you were retired is because one has to be retired from the military to qualify for CRSC.

To qualify for CRSC you must:

—be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
—be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
—waive your VA pay from your retired pay
—file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
—Armed Conflict
—Hazardous Duty
—An Instrumentality of War
—Simulated War

If you are not retired from the military, you are not eligible for CRSC.

Examples of retirement: regular, reserve, disability TERA.
Note: The Army ended TERA retirements in 2018; I am not sure if TERA continues to exist for the other services.

Ron

Last edited: