Combat Retired TDRL/PDRL Military - GS Job Advice

HottyToddyUSCG

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello All,

I wanted to share some advice that I have for MEB Boards and being combat injury retired.

1) Your base pay is totally tax free. If they tax you here is the link from DFAS.

2) If you apply for a GS job then it’s smart if you have over 10 years in the military. First get your VA 10 point advantage and also get your Dr to sign a Schedule A letter. This will really help you in applying for a GS job.

3) Once you are offered a GS job make sure you do the military buy back. Normally you can’t use your military time for the Federal Retirement System(FERS) however if you are retired and it’s combat related then you can buy in to the FERS system and also get your military retirement! This is huge for retirement from an annunity standpoint. The HR hiring offical had no idea you could do this but I did and she was shocked.

Also FERS Will credit your leave from the military.
See page 6.

4) Apply for CRSC and have Ron run your numbers. Have the numbers in your CRSC package... Make it easy for the pay people.

If anyone of you have questions for me please let me know. I have been very blessed and landed a GS14 job in DC and wanted all of you the above information is critical for another retirement from the FERS system.

Great info! I was recently medically retired from the Air Force and placed on the TDRL list for combat-related PTSD. I served 9 years and 5 months. My ratings came back 50% DOD, 100% VA. I'm waiting for my official VA packet to get mailed to me so I can finish my application for CRSC.

What would Ron need to run my numbers for CRSC?

My monthly base pay is $3,306.30
I served 9 years, 5 months, 20 days
50% DOD for combat-related PTSD

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Great info! I was recently medically retired from the Air Force and placed on the TDRL list for combat-related PTSD. I served 9 years and 5 months. My ratings came back 50% DOD, 100% VA. I'm waiting for my official VA packet to get mailed to me so I can finish my application for CRSC.

What would Ron need to run my numbers for CRSC?

My monthly base pay is $3,306.30
I served 9 years, 5 months, 20 days
50% DOD for combat-related PTSD

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Hello,

The following info is needed.

Accurate information necessary for CRSC estimate:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years and months OR active duty equivalent years and months for those with reserve time (total points divided by 360)
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage
—Other type military retirement eligibility info. Also indicate if you transitioned to the Blended Retirement System.

Back later this afternoon.

Ron

Ron,

Here is my info.

High three average base pay- $3146.30
DoD disability percentage- 50%
Active duty years/months- 9 years, 5 months, 20 days
VA compensation percentage- 100%, $3514.61, spouse and 1 child (age 2)
Approved CRSC percentage- 50%
High-3 Retirement Plan

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Case.
High three average base pay- $3146.30
DoD disability percentage- 50%
Active duty years/months- 9 years, 5 months, 20 days
VA compensation percentage- 100%, $3514.61, spouse and 1 child (age 2)
Approved CRSC percentage- 50%
High-3 Retirement Plan

Estimate.

1. 3156.30 x 0.50 = 1578.15 retired pay (reduced to zero due to VA offset/waiver)
2. 9.417 active duty years x 0.025 = 23.54% longevity multiplier
3. 3156.30 x 0.2354 = 742.99 Longevity portion of retired pay
4. 50% CRSC: 1,043.43
5. CRSC for a CH 61 retiree cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
6. Your monthly CRSC paid by DFAS = 742.99.
7. The VA will pay 3514.61 in VA compensation each month.

Ron

Glad to help...take care.

Ron

Hello All,

I wanted to share some advice that I have for MEB Boards and being combat injury retired.

1) Your base pay is totally tax free. If they tax you here is the link from DFAS.

2) If you apply for a GS job then it’s smart if you have over 10 years in the military. First get your VA 10 point advantage and also get your Dr to sign a Schedule A letter. This will really help you in applying for a GS job.

3) Once you are offered a GS job make sure you do the military buy back. Normally you can’t use your military time for the Federal Retirement System(FERS) however if you are retired and it’s combat related then you can buy in to the FERS system and also get your military retirement! This is huge for retirement from an annunity standpoint. The HR hiring offical had no idea you could do this but I did and she was shocked.

Also FERS Will credit your leave from the military.
See page 6.

4) Apply for CRSC and have Ron run your numbers. Have the numbers in your CRSC package... Make it easy for the pay people.

If anyone of you have questions for me please let me know. I have been very blessed and landed a GS14 job in DC and wanted all of you the above information is critical for another retirement from the FERS system.

thanks for the great information, definitely was not aware of that. Does it have to be 100 percent CRSC to qualify?

Ref: "thanks for the great information, definitely was not aware of that. Does it have to be 100 percent CRSC to qualify? "

Full disclosure: I know little about FERS and at my age, I am not inclined to spend time educating myself on the subject.

However, with regard to CRSC...

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63

630102. Authoritative Guidance The pay policies and requirements established by DoD in this chapter are derived primarily from, and prepared in accordance with the U.S.C., including Titles 10, 31, and 37. Due to the subject matter in this chapter, the list of authoritative sources is extensive. The specific statutes, regulations, and other applicable guidance that govern each individual section are listed in a reference section at the end of the chapter .

630403. Entitled to Retired Pay

A. A member must be entitled to retired pay, notwithstanding that such retired pay may be reduced due to receipt of VA disability compensation. A reservist who has not reached the requisite age to receive retired pay (generally age 60) is not eligible to receive CRSC payments. See Chapter 1, subparagraph 010308.F, for when the eligibility age of a reservist will be reduced below 60 years of age and become eligible for retired pay.

B. A member who waives retired pay in order to credit military service for the purposes of establishing eligibility for a civil service retirement, or for any reason other than to receive disability compensation from the VA, is not eligible to receive CRSC payments. A member who combines his military time with his civil service time for the sole purpose of enhancing his civil service retirement may be eligible for CRSC if the member is still eligible to receive military retired pay. Members should consult the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) Handbook for Personnel and Payroll Offices for further information on eligibility.

630802. Adjusted Amount

The CRSC payment may not exceed the current reduction in retired pay applicable to the retiree under 38 U.S.C. §§ 5304 and 5305. Thus, CRSC is not payable if there is no reduction because the member is not receiving any monthly disability compensation from VA, or because the member is not receiving retired pay (such as a reserve member before reaching retirement age at 60 or other reduced retirement age), or for other reasons (such as a member who waives military retired pay in order to credit military service for a civil service retirement). The amount of a member’s CRSC entitlement will be adjusted to be the lesser of the gross CRSC from paragraph 630801 or the reduction to the retired pay entitlement.

Ron
(not a FERS SME)

cc:
@Guardguy11
@SFC H

thanks for the great information, definitely was not aware of that. Does it have to be 100 percent CRSC to qualify?
Click on the links in the message... it’s only combat related for the buy in for a GS job.

Crediting Military Service You cannot receive credit for any military service in your FERS retirement computation, if you are receiving military retired pay, unless you were awarded the retired pay:

• Due to a service-connected disability either incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war, or
  • Under the provisions of Chapter 1223, Title 10, U.S.C. (pertaining to retirement from a reserve component of the Armed Forces).

Re: Your reference
"Crediting Military Service for FERS When You Are Receiving Military Retired Pay
You cannot receive credit for any military service in your FERS retirement computation, if you are receiving military retired pay, unless you were awarded the retired pay:

• Due to a service-connected disability either incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war, or
  • Under the provisions of Chapter 1223, Title 10, U.S.C. (pertaining to retirement from a reserve component of the Armed Forces).
However, you can elect to waive the retired pay and have the military service added to your civilian service in computing your FERS annuity [see exception]. In addition to waiving your military retired pay you MUST pay a deposit for your post 1956 military deposit prior to separating from your agency in order for it to be creditable in your FERS retirement case." Edited to add: See Merit Systems Protection Board Decision at post 12. I think that it clearly shows how an exception when the retired pay is awarded based on a service-connected disability affects the issues discussed in this thread.
------------

As mentioned previously, I am not a FERS expert. That said, the FERS (OPM?) and DFAS folks should be capable of determine what can be paid and what cannot. This is not a new issue.

Ron

Reference: Decision LINK <---

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA MERIT SYSTEMS PROTECTION BOARD 2011 MSPB 41 Docket No. DC-0841-10-0389-I-1 William N. Barth, Appellant, v. Office of Personnel Management, Agency. March 21, 2011

[Selected excerpt]

"As noted above, while 5 U.S.C. § 8411(c)(2) provides that a member who is awarded military retired pay may not include credit for such period of military service, it also provides an exception when the retired pay is awarded based on a service-connected disability. 5 U.S.C. § 8411(c)(2)(A). It is undisputed that the appellant has a service-connected disability. See IAF, Tab 15 at 54; id., Tab 6, Subtab 3 at 1; id., Tab 1 at 16. Accordingly, because the appellant’s military retired pay was awarded based on a service-connected disability, he was not required to waive, nor is there any evidence that he waived, his military retired pay in order to include credit for his period of military service in his FERS annuity.5 IAF, Tab 6, Subtab 5 at 5-6, 8.

----
Ron

Man that is great news. I would have loved to do that but I got denied constantly about "combat related" to any of those categories. I had all the military documentation showing where I was injured at my second mobilization site and REFRAD back home due to the two injuries. Then on my first deployment like most others getting sick from breathing in the burn pit smoke, sand storms, depleted uranium dust and other environmental hazards. I got medically retired through IDES with 19 years of active service. I have a total of 24 overall years but only 19 active. So I got screwed and do not get Concurrent.
I love this site. I try to tell everyone I know that is in the military about it and those that are out just so they can research and get educated about things. Kudo's to everyone on here that gives. This is the one site that has helped me understand. Oh and militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com has educated me on the IDES and VASRD process.

Recommend any decision made regarding your FERS retirement be discussed with the appropriate representative(s) of that organization.

Additionally, one can receive a decision from DFAS by using the AskDFAS web site. https://www.dfas.mil/AskDFAS.html <---LINK

Ron