Compensation Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeno

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Q & A

Q: I received (0%-29%) disability rating from the military, what is my compensation if I accept?

A: Base Pay X 2 X (years in service, minimum of 3 years, or minimum of 6 if combat-related) = Severance pay. Subtract 28% for taxes, that may (Should) be returned after filing taxes (Federal tax return).

Q: I received (30%-100%), what is my compensation if I accept?

A: You receive that percent (or 2.5% times years of service if you have more than 20 years) of your retired base pay along with medical benefits & ID card, just as if your retired (health care, commissary/PX/BX).

Q: Does the "High 3" play in to this.

A: Yes. Calculate here: High-3 Calculator. Some members who first joined before Sep. 8, 1980 may use their base pay instead.

Q: If I claim VA compensation after my discharge, do they recoup my severance pay?

A: Yes. Unless your injuries were combat-related

Q: I received a military rating < 30%, should I appeal?

A: I would, you have nothing to lose, even if they rate you as 0% your severance pay will be the same.

Q: I received a military rating > 30%, should I appeal?

A: Well you can, however they could drop you below 30% and then you will only receive severance pay.In these cases, you should look at the evidence carefully and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Q: I received a RTD (Return To Duty), can I appeal?

A: Yes, but it is discretionary.

Q: I received xx% TDRL, what is my compensation?

A: You receive an ID card and 50%, or the actual awarded percentage, whichever is greater, of your retired base pay (High three applies in most cases). But you will be reevaled before 18 month mark.

Q: I received the REDUX/CSB if I get discahrged, do I have to pay it back?

A: No, More info: http://www.pebforum.com/transition-issues/2872-csb-redux-30-000-question.html

More info: http://www.pebforum.com/physical-disability-compensation/3660-severance-pay-retirement-pay.html
(Admin fill free to add and or correct)

X

Status
Not open for further replies.