Completely NEW and LOST

NCNTELL

Registered Member
Hi All,

Here's my situation.

I'm an E6 in the North Carolina National Guard.

I have never deployed as a Soldier with the Guard.

I have worked as an AGR Recruiter (Title 32) from 2013-2015 and also 2016-2018.
I left RRB both times due to Depression / Anxiety.

The last time before I left I was connected with Integrated Behavioral Health, and the State Behavioral Health Officer said that it would probably be best to discharge me because of my ongoing condition.

I was scared and didn't know what to do financially, so I took a job in Afghanistan as a contractor doing Counter Intel/ Analyst work and spent 4 months there before coming home to work near home (Hindsight being 20/20) going to a combat zone with anxiety and depression was an idiot move)

Now that I've been back a year I have still struggled with this feeling of being trapped and not knowing what to do but wanting to get out of the military.

My unit has been called to deploy and in doing the pre-mob SRP event I actually spoke with the State Behavioral Health Officer who remembered me, upon seeing that my condition is the same if not worse now because of my trip to Afghanistan, he is moving forward to medically discharge me.

He says it should be a relatively fast process (30-60 days)

I talked to my unit and they have confirmed that I am being "Med Boarded"

What do I do?

I know very little about the VA and what I can and can't claim.

Being National Guard and never deploying can I claim anything?

I have had a history of knee issues and had to go to Physical Therapy for my knees while I was an Active Duty Guard Recruiter. Can I claim that?
I have been diagnosed with Plantar Faciatis. Can I claim that?
I have Tenitis, hip pain, hearing loss in my right ear (According to the Doc at SRP) Can I claim any of these?

Being National Guard with 2 Active Duty stents for the State (Title 32)

I don't know if I can even do a VA Claim, or do you get compensated for Med Discharge?

I'm not soley in it for the money, but I do also have mouths to feed and my one weekend a month check I'll be loosing (At least 350-400 a month)

PLEASE HELP

Thank you so much

God Bless.

You can claim anything that has been diagnosed while you have been in the service (IE, tinnitus, plantar fasciitis, hearing loss, depression, etc). Basically, if it was not present prior to the service, you can claim it. However, that doesn’t mean every claimed condition will be determined to impact your future service potential (being “unfit for duty”), nor that it will be rated as such by the DoD MEB Board. But go ahead and claim everything, because if you don’t claim it, then for sure, it won’t be rated by the DoD.
Once you go thru the medical exams at the VA (or their contractor), the MEB Board will review it, and send it to the PEB Board. This board then decides your fate, as far as whether you are deemed able to continue in the service (fit for duty) or not (not fit for duty). This determination is made based on whether you can still perform your basic soldier tasks and your MOS tasks.
If you are determined to be “unfit for duty” (generally if the DoD rates you at 30 percent or higher), you will be put into the Retired list and are eligible to draw medical retirement, your ID card, Tricare, etc. If you are rated Unfit at less than 30 percent, then you will be separated from the service, with just a monetary severance package.
Hope that helps.
Old CW4 Army Aviator (40 yrs).

Hi All,

Here's my situation.

The last time before I left I was connected with Integrated Behavioral Health, and the State Behavioral Health Officer said that it would probably be best to discharge me because of my ongoing condition.

I was scared and didn't know what to do financially, so I took a job in Afghanistan as a contractor doing Counter Intel/ Analyst work and spent 4 months there before coming home to work near home (Hindsight being 20/20) going to a combat zone with anxiety and depression was an idiot move)

Now that I've been back a year I have still struggled with this feeling of being trapped and not knowing what to do but wanting to get out of the military.

My unit has been called to deploy and in doing the pre-mob SRP event I actually spoke with the State Behavioral Health Officer who remembered me, upon seeing that my condition is the same if not worse now because of my trip to Afghanistan, he is moving forward to medically discharge me.

What do I do?

I have had a history of knee issues and had to go to Physical Therapy for my knees while I was an Active Duty Guard Recruiter. Can I claim that?
I have Tenitis, hip pain, hearing loss in my right ear (According to the Doc at SRP) Can I claim any of these?

I don't know if I can even do a VA Claim, or do you get compensated for Med Discharge?

I'm not soley in it for the money, but I do also have mouths to feed and my one weekend a month check I'll be loosing (At least 350-400 a month)

PLEASE HELP

Thank you so much

God Bless.
What was your outcome with the medical board?

Hi All,

Here's my situation.

What do I do?

PLEASE HELP

Thank you so much

God Bless.
Because you deployed immediately after the incident, I’m going to predict the VA might say your condition wasn’t bad enough and that deployment might have caused your mental health decay. It will be a lot to prove. Best of luck.

What was your outcome with the medical board?
I was on FTNG-OS T32 Orders and contracted lyme disease/tested positive during that time period. When my tour ended, i started a claim for lyme disease. I didnt have an LOD but I had my diagnoses, labs, X-ray and MRI Findings and current symptoms. I submitted that along with my orders and was able to get 80% for lyme residuals.

The original post is 4 years old. He may not be on here any more.

I was on FTNG-OS T32 Orders and contracted lyme disease/tested positive during that time period. When my tour ended, i started a claim for lyme disease. I didnt have an LOD but I had my diagnoses, labs, X-ray and MRI Findings and current symptoms. I submitted that along with my orders and was able to get 80% for lyme residuals.
Ah wow. That sounds rough. Side note — can you shoot webs?