Computing years of service

They make it more difficult than it should be. For me to qualify for an immediate AD retirement (regular retirement not medical) I need close to 5 more years TAFMS time to get me to 20 years, with that I will just short of 40 years of total military service. My inactive duty time would add a few additional years to the 20 for the calculation of retired pay. I’m glad they let you use total points toward retirement as you work through the duty DES process.

Im still trying to wrap my head around whether or not I will be eligible for CDRP if IDT is used to put me over the 20 years like they can in the medical retirement process. I’ve read several posts on the topic, on this form, and it seems some get it and some don’t. I’m guessing if you polled the people who make the determination the variety in responses would be similar to what you find on this site. I haven’t had a chance to dig into the rules to see what they say on the topic, you would think the people who are charged with making the decision would know but if I’ve learned anything over the last 35 years it’s that they probably don’t.
@Yukon777

See https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_64.pdf <—-LINK

DoD 7000.14-R
Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64

VOLUME 7B, CHAPTER 64: “CONCURRENT RETIREMENT AND DISABILITY PAYMENT (CRDP)”

Ron

I'm new to this. I am 18y 3m in on AD (AGR) service (24 total), an IRILO has started for the second time, trying to make it to 20 AD yrs. My question is it 7200 or 7300 points required to retire (Where can I find this in regulations)? And second, If inactive duty time can be computed for a medical retirement (other than membership points), where can I find that in regulation? I am glad I found this forum and I am looking for points guidance to get me to 20yrs (in points). as of today I have 6649 AD points and 308 IDT points. Can someone help guide me? Thanks.
AR 635-40 and DA PAM 635-40 PARA 3-12 if you are in the Army.

Hello @javiere8

Sorry, just noticed you were answering a question.

There have several discussions about the issue of 7200 points = regular retirement.

You can find them by using the search feature in the upper right corner of the forum page. Recommend using “7200 points” as you search item. Also recommend using the more recent material.

Finally, regardless of what you find here, recommend your Human Resources Command confirm how one qualifies.
It is my understanding that some RC points do not count toward retirement qualification, but once qualified they are used in the longevity computation of retired pay.

Ron

Hello @javiere8

Sorry, just noticed you were answering a question.

There have several discussions about the issue of 7200 points = regular retirement.

You can find them by using the search feature in the upper right corner of the forum page. Recommend using “7200 points” as you search item. Also recommend using the more recent material.

Finally, regardless of what you find here, recommend your Human Resources Command confirm how one qualifies.
It is my understanding that some RC points do not count toward retirement qualification, but once qualified they are used in the longevity computation of retired pay.

Ron
Good morning Ron, this is for medical retirement and not for regular retirement

Good morning Ron, this is for medical retirement and not for regular retirement
Hi,

The question often arises when a RC member is being processed for a CH 61 (disability) retirement. The primary issue is the eligibility for CRDP. If the RC soldier also qualifies for RC retirement and receives a medical retirement, the member would be eligible for CRDP upon reaching the age requirement for RC retirement and having 50% or more VA.

If the RC remember somehow qualified for a regular retirement, the age requirement does not have to be achieved.

There are many who received a disability retirement and also qualified for a regular retirement. Chaplaincharlie is one, albeit he was not RC.

Evidently, will be qualified under the 7200 points; earlier this year: “Try to appeal everything, this is the only way that you can make it to May, my Dr. said that I am ready for the IDES but we are waiting until late September because I will have 7200 points in April so I will qualify for CRDP, I am AGR.”

Ron

Last edited:
Hi,

The question often arises when a RC member is being processed for a CH 61 (disability) retirement. The primary issue is the eligibility for CRDP. If the RC soldier also qualifies for RC retirement and receives a medical retirement, the member would be eligible for CRDP upon reaching the age requirement for RC retirement and having 50% or more VA.

If the RC remember somehow qualified for a regular retirement, the age requirement does not have to be achieved.

There are many who received a disability retirement and also qualified for a regular retirement. Chaplaincharlie is one, albeit he was not RC.

Evidently, will be qualified under the 7200 points; earlier this year: “Try to appeal everything, this is the only way that you can make it to May, my Dr. said that I am ready for the IDES but we are waiting until late September because I will have 7200 points in April so I will qualify for CRDP, I am AGR.”

Ron
7200 points is the one loophole to get to Active Duty 20 year retirement. Only works when medically retired though.