Conflicting info on P3 profile "diagnosis"

lew2118

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all,

My husband was put on a permanent profile for back issues (severe DDD, spinal stenosis, nerve issues on EMGs) but the permanent profile from his PCM reads "neck pain" and did update his PUHLES to were they don't align with his MOS now. It is my understanding the the permanent profile just gets him into the MEB and then the case manager goes over all of his issues on the form submitted. HOWEVER, We were just told yesterday by someone corresponding directly with the medical detachment that "the only issues that would be looked at during the MEB are the ones listed on the permanent profile." I felt in my gut that it was untrue after some thorough research of the process but I just want to make sure that the profile does not need revised in our case- "neck pain" was the original issue years ago that led to many of my husbands diagnoses.

Thanks for your help!

Hi! During the MEB phase, the IDES provider reviews all current conditions and provides an opinion regarding whether they meet/do not meet medical retention standard. Note that this is not the same as fitness, which is a personnel decision. The MEB provider writes up a narrative summary (NARSUM) describing the conditions in question, and provides a recommendation to the PEB regarding fitness/retention along with a statement of whether or not each condition meets the medical retention standard. While the MEB certainly reviews the P3 condition, they are supposed to perform a comprehensive review of all conditions. Additionally, assuming the service member is using IDES and not LDES, the service member would claim each condition at the start of the board through the VA, whose evaluations are considered for the purposes of the NARSUM. Not sure if that answers your question or not. Also, welcome to the forum!

Yes, it does! I was thinking the service member would have the opportunity to notate all conditions based on what I've read here and military disability made easy but I was thrown of by the medical detachments "advice." Thanks so much for the clarification!

I'm still a bit confused based on what I've read on this forum post:

Hi! During the MEB phase, the IDES provider reviews all current conditions and provides an opinion regarding whether they meet/do not meet medical retention standard. Note that this is not the same as fitness, which is a personnel decision. The MEB provider writes up a narrative summary (NARSUM) describing the conditions in question, and provides a recommendation to the PEB regarding fitness/retention along with a statement of whether or not each condition meets the medical retention standard. While the MEB certainly reviews the P3 condition, they are supposed to perform a comprehensive review of all conditions. Additionally, assuming the service member is using IDES and not LDES, the service member would claim each condition at the start of the board through the VA, whose evaluations are considered for the purposes of the NARSUM. Not sure if that answers your question or not. Also, welcome to the forum!
Great Explanation!

Being referred to IDES for a single condition isn’t an issue (and is common). You only need one condition that requires MEB evaluation (in your referring provider’s opinion) in order to start the process (initiation phase) Once you have a second signature on the P3 and are in the MEB phase, all conditions that are unfitting should be explored and disclosed as such. This is one reason why you have the option to non concur with your meb findings and request an independent medical review (IMR).

Bottom line - Only one condition is required for referral to IDES; once in the MEB phase, all conditions not meeting the retention standard should be reviewed.

I made an error - “unfitting” should say “potentially unfitting”. The MEB (a medical process) does not determine fitness, they just provide an opinion regarding whether or not a condition meets the medical retention standard and therefore the SM’s case must be evaluated by the PEB.

If your husband is entered into the IDES, he will meet the a MSC (VA rep). At that point your husband can claim all conditions. The MEB is medical process. The medical community can recommend a PEB if they believe your husband is unfit. But only the PEB can make the final decision to separate a member.

Coming back to update this post later for anyone referencing... lack of a profile was held against us in MEB phase by MEB physicians and again during IMR. Fortunately, we still received favorable ratings for other conditions. I would highly recommend a profile for every condition that you want DOD to rate, VA rates everything that meets their standards/burden of proof, but DOD will use the lack of a profile to discredit the severity of a condition in the NARSUM. Even if profiles overlap for physical restrictions, do it anyway.

Thank you for coming back and informing us! My wife's profile includes both unfitting conditions but lumps it all together. I hope that doesn't count against her.