Confused about conditions that "Contribute to unfitness"

I’ve read about “conditions that contribute to unfitness” on this forum, but have a question about these conditions. At what point in the IDES do they come into the picture? Are they addressed on the NARSUM at the MEB stage? Or is it that they are addressed at some point in the PEB stage? I have one unfitting condition from the PEB that has been sent to the VA for rating. However, I have a well-documented foot condition that has a P3 profile and fails to meet retention standards by AR 40-501, but was not found to be unfitting by the MEB. I submitted an IMR and appealed this condition to the MEB, but it was still not found to fail retention standards on the NARSUM. Despite losing the appeal, I feel that this condition definitely contributes to my unfitness since it prevents me from passing the APFT. My commander’s letter even addresses the condition as contributing to my inability to perform my duties. Is there any likelihood that the PEB will find this condition to be one that contributes to unfitness even though it wasn’t found to be an unfit condition by the PEB? Is it too late to send a letter to the PEB saying that I contend that the condition contributes to my unfitness? I’m just confused on when in the IDES process these conditions that contribute to unfitness are addressed in the IDES and how does a SM get the MEB/PEB boards to address them?

I assume you are awaiting your IPEB results. You can appeal the IPEB and bring up this issue as well as request a formal board to address the issue.

Mike

My PEBLO gave me a copy of the letter from the PEB to the VA that shows my unfitting condition and asks the VA to “Please provide a disability rating percentage (with rationale) to this PEB Administration for all referred and claimed conditions.” I am awaiting the VA’s rating response. Can I appeal at this point or do I need to wait until the VA returns its results to the PEB and I get my DA Form 199?

My PEBLO gave me a copy of the letter from the PEB to the VA that shows my unfitting condition and asks the VA to “Please provide a disability rating percentage (with rationale) to this PEB Administration for all referred and claimed conditions.” I am awaiting the VA’s rating response. Can I appeal at this point or do I need to wait until the VA returns its results to the PEB and I get my DA Form 199?
You'll have to wait to appeal when you get to see your 199.