Confused about CRSC amount

Supervayne

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all. So throughout my medboard process, I have lurked these forums for guidance which has been helpful. My whole medboard from start to finish was around a year and a half and I was medically retired in June of 2016. At the conclusion of my medboard, my VA Disability became 100%. I was discharged from the Army Guard at 70%.Initially I collected my retirement pay until it was stopped due to receiving more from my VA Disability. I then submitted my claim for CRSC which I got a letter back in the beginning of July saying they have rated me at 90%. I called DFAS and the lady I spoke with said I would only get $622 a month for CRSC.

My confusion is from all of the calculators I have used. I used the DFAS one, an Excel one made by James Martin along with info obtained from here and the results I get are much higher (Around $1,400).

Can some help me?

VA disability 100% $3,306
Retirement pay (Before it stopped) $2,204
Medical Retirement from Nat. Guard @ 70%
CRSC finding of 90%
Base Pay $3,166 (E-5)
18 years and 6 months when retired
Spouse with 4 children under 18
Only active duty time was for three deployments.

As a Ch 61 retiree your CRSC will be the lesser of
--the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay
or
--the amount in the VA compensation tables that mirrors the CRSC rate approved by your service

The $622 figure is likely the longevity portion mentioned above since you had little AD time.

Your AD equivalent would be total points divided by 360. If you provide that figure I will be happy to do the computation.
Also need your high three for retirement OR the gross retired pay on RAS--please show which figure is provided.

Ron

or
--the amount in the VA compensation tables that mirrors the CRSC rate approved by your service

The $622 figure is likely the longevity portion mentioned above since you had little AD time.

Your AD equivalent would be total points divided by 360. If you provide that figure I will be happy to do the computation.

Ron

As of 11/22/16 I had 2829 points. I don't think they would have increased much from then till June 2017. Thank you so much for the reply.

As of 11/22/16 I had 2829 points. I don't think they would have increased much from then till June 2017. Thank you so much for the reply.
Thanks...I had edited my reply to request:
Also need your high three for retirement OR the gross retired pay on RAS--please show which figure is provided.

or

Ron
My gross retired pay on my RAS is 2,204

Here is a computation using the info you provided:
1. 2204/0.70 = 3148.57 H-3
2. 2829/360 = 7.86 AD time
3. 7.86 x 2.5% = 19.65 multiplier
4. 3148.57 x 0.1965 = $618.69 longevity portion of ret pay (you were told 622)
5. The difference of a couple of dollars is likely due to rounding or points

CRSC is between $618.60-$622

Ron

added:
or

Additional info:

Special rule for retirees with fewer than 20 years of service.—
In the case of an eligible combat-related disabled uniformed services retiree who is retired under chapter 61 of this title with fewer than 20 years of creditable service, the amount of the payment under paragraph (1) for any month may not, when combined with the amount of retired pay payable to the retiree after any such reduction under sections 5304 and 5305 of title 38, cause the total of such combined payment to exceed the amount equal to the retired pay percentage (determined for the member under section 1409(b) of this title) of the member’s years of creditable service multiplied by the member’s retired pay base under section 1406(b)(1) or 1407 of this title, whichever is applicable to the member.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/1413a

CRSC does not replace waived DoD disability pay.

How can calculate my crsc pay?
Information needed for Chapter 61 disability retirement CRSC estimate (the information should be provided in an open forum):

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron

Jose Alberto Cordero,

Since you did not return with the info mentioned above, the following is offered:

—CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees is the lesser of
a. dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
OR
b. dollar amount associated with the CRSC rate approved by your service. That amount will be found in the VA compensation tables (same tables are used for both)
c. Any left-over (residual) retired pay after the waiver required by law will reduce the amount of CRSC payable.

1. High three x DoD disability percentage = DoD retired pay
2. Retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation
3. Years and months of active duty equivalent x 2.5% = multiplier
4. High three x multiplier = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
5. CRSC rate approved by service = amount for that rate in VA compensation tables
6. Compare amount at item 4 with amount at item 5. The lesser is the CRSC payable reduced by item 7, if applicable.
7. Reduce amount at item 6 by residual retired pay left after waiver of retired pay at item 2.

These factors are the reason they were mentioned in the request for info in conjunction with a proposed estimate.

Ron

Jose Alberto Cordero,

Since you did not return with the info mentioned above, the following is offered:

—CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees is the lesser of
a. dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
OR
b. dollar amount associated with the CRSC rate approved by your service. That amount will be found in the VA compensation tables (same tables are used for both)
c. Any left-over (residual) retired pay after the waiver required by law will reduce the amount of CRSC payable.

1. High three x DoD disability percentage = DoD retired pay
2. Retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation
3. Years and months of active duty equivalent x 2.5% = multiplier
4. High three x multiplier = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
5. CRSC rate approved by service = amount for that rate in VA compensation tables
6. Compare amount at item 4 with amount at item 5. The lesser is the CRSC payable reduced by item 7, if applicable.
7. Reduce amount at item 6 by residual retired pay left after waiver of retired pay at item 2.

These factors are the reason they were mentioned in the request for info in conjunction with a proposed estimate.

Ron

Sir was looking for the same and I can send my information to compute
high three average 3500
DOD rating 50%
VA rating 100%
years 14 yrs 6 months and 16 days
looking at 50% CRSC rating

Can you help?

Sir was looking for the same and I can send my information to compute
high three average 3500
DOD rating 50%
VA rating 100%
years 14 yrs 6 months and 16 days
looking at 50% CRSC rating

Can you help?

Hello,
1. 3500 x 0.50 = 1750 retired pay reduced to zero by VA comp amount
2. 14.5 years x 0.025 = 36.25% multiplier
3. 3500 x 0.3625 = 1268.75 longevity portion of retirement pay
4. 50% CRSC without dependents since none were cited: $879.36
5. CRSC = $879.36

Ron

Edited to add:
If you do have dependents...you can use the VA compensation charts at Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables - Effective 12/1/18 - Compensation <----LINK
to find the applicable amount for 50% with a certain number and categories of dependents. That amount would replace the $879.36 shown at items 4. Compare item 3 with new amount at item 4. You receive the lesser of the two, which becomes the replacement amount for item 5.

Last edited:
General.

For future requests for CRSC estimates.
The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above.

Ron

Hello,
5. CRSC = $879.36

Ron

Edited to add:
If you do have dependents...you can use the VA compensation charts at Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables - Effective 12/1/18 - Compensation <----LINK
to find the applicable amount for 50% with a certain number and categories of dependents. That amount would replace the $879.36 shown at items 4. Compare item 3 with new amount at item 4. You receive the lesser of the two, which becomes the replacement amount for item 5.

Apologies sir I have a wife and three children under 18...how does this change the equation?... Also thank you very much for your quick assistance on the response..it is greatly appreciated

Hello,
5. CRSC = $879.36

Ron

Edited to add:
Thank you so much!

Apologies sir I have a wife and three children under 18...how does this change the equation?... Also thank you very much for your quick assistance on the response..it is greatly appreciated
So My numbers are now 1110.00 which still would b
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!
so did the recalc by the VA 50% w dependants...came to 1110.00... so that is still lower than the 1268.75..so that would be the correct computation? Sorry to be a rockhead...

Hello Roy,

You found that the 50% rate with spouse and 3 children under 18 is 1110.00

4. 50% CRSC spouse and 3 children under 18 is 1110.00

5.Your CRSC = $1110 since it is less than the ceiling of 1268.75

Regards,
Ron