Confused about retirement/VA pay

AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I keep hearing conflicting information about disability pay. Since I'm going to be permanently retired, do I get my VA paycheck AND a disability paycheck+retirement benefits or just the VA paycheck with the retirement benefits?

There are a lot of variables to consider before you can have an answer.

Active, reserve?
Years of service?
Rank?
Rated VA conditions combat related?

All of these things and probably a few more can affect how much you take home.

There are a lot of variables to consider before you can have an answer.

Active, reserve?
Years of service?
Rank?
Rated VA conditions combat related?

All of these things and probably a few more can affect how much you take home.

Active for almost 8 years, no combat related conditions.

I saw this on the DFAS website and from the looks of it, it sounds like I'll get both:

Qualifying for a Disability Retirement
Your disability percentage, which will be assigned by the Physical Evaluation Board, will determine whether your disability qualifies you for retirement or separation:
  • If you have less than 20 years of active service a disability rating of 30 percent or higher will qualify you for retirement, and a disability rating below 30 percent will result in separation.

• A member of the TDRL or the PDRL is a retired member of the armed forces. You are entitled to all rights and privileges of a military retiree, which may include:
    • Participation in Survivor Benefit Plans
    • Voluntary/involuntary allotments from your retired pay
    • Disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs
Permanent Disability Retired List
If your disability is found to be permanent and is rated at 30 percent or greater, or you have 20 or more years of service, you will be placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL).

Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods.

• Your disability percentage, referred to as Method A.
  • Your years of active service, referred to as Method B.
Your pay will be computed based on whichever method is more beneficial for you.

If you have been transferred from the TDRL to the PDRL, your retired pay will be recalculated using your most current disability rating.

Ok, so I'm going to assume you are an e5 or 6 over 8. Base pay around $3000. 70% DOD of that is $2100 a month.

70% VA (i saw these % in your other post) $1335 a month (if single).

The problem is you cannot get both so your pension will be offset by your VA % so in this scenario you will get $765 (2100-1335) a month as a taxable pension and $1335 a month from the VA.

Use this link from DFAS to verify:
http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.htm

Since you did not complete 20 years you don't qualify for CRDP

And no combat related means you wouldn't qualify for CSRC

Ok, so I'm going to assume you are an e5 or 6 over 8. Base pay around $3000. 70% DOD of that is $2100 a month.

70% VA (i saw these % in your other post) $1335 a month (if single).

The problem is you cannot get both so your pension will be offset by your VA % so in this scenario you will get $765 (2100-1335) a month as a taxable pension and $1335 a month from the VA.

Use this link from DFAS to verify:
http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.htm

Since you did not complete 20 years you don't qualify for CRDP

And no combat related means you wouldn't qualify for CSRC

You answered exactly what I wanted to know. I estimated around $2100 too.

Thanks! :D

Glad I could help. Congrats on your ratings....

Wait up. I'm on terminal leave right now and on the 27 of Feb I'll officially be PDRL. 90VA 30DOD. After reading this post I have no clue how much I will be taking home. E6 over 14. I had originally thought 2139ish, but after reading this I'm thinking more???