Confused with the answer I got from SSD

SFCO

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Let me start by saying that I am currently going trough the MEB process and my case has been stuck waiting on VA ratings for almost 60 days now. Anyway I applied for SSD back in January of this year and I have been following any updates on my case through my social security website. About two weeks ago my status changed to the following: Benefit Application under review. " A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your benefit application. A Social security representative may contact you if we need any additional documents or information"
I called my local Social Security Office yesterday to get an update and I was told that they were waiting to receive my proof of age. I went to the Social Security office to turn in a copy of my birth certificate and after talking to the guy and asking about my case he told me the following: Well it shows that a decision has not been made in your case however it shows that the Disability Determination Service found you disabled. Does this mean that my application was approved and I'm just waiting or does it mean that it still has to go trough the process and be approved/denied by someone else?? I'm confused.

Thanks for your help

DDS approval means you have been approved however, SS still has to review everything like a quality assurance review or something before SS approves and starts payment. I believe this is SOP.

DDS approval means you have been approved however, SS still has to review everything like a quality assurance review or something before SS approves and starts payment. I believe this is SOP.
Thank you for your answer. I guess I believe that I have been approved once i see it on paper. With these processes as well as the MEB seem like things can change at anytime

So we can apply for ssdi while we are going through a MEB? I thought I would have to wait until after I get out or they finalize my ratings.

@SFCO
It sounds like your case is in review, but approval is likely.

@mr pig
Apply ASAP, do not wait.

Gotcha. Did you primarily just use the website for most of the applying and whatnot?

Gotcha. Did you primarily just use the website for most of the applying and whatnot?
I did and it resulted in an approval of SSA SSDI federal disability benefits in only 76 calendar days! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

It should not be terribly long. The SSA is good about expediting military claims.

Well this morning i checked my social security account and got the following:

A Decision Has Been Made On Your Benefit Application

Your claim for Disability benefits has been approved

Now i just have to wait for the letter in the mail

Thanks everyone for your input and help

Well this morning i checked my social security account and got the following:

A Decision Has Been Made On Your Benefit Application

Your claim for Disability benefits has been approved

Now i just have to wait for the letter in the mail

Thanks everyone for your input and help
All right, that's great news; congratulations! :D Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Warrior644 were they able to use your SSDI approval in consideration of your MEB process?

Warrior644 were they able to use your SSDI approval in consideration of your MEB process?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Well, I was referred and accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process after receipt of my SSA SSDI approval letter albeit I still submitted the SSA SSDI approval documentation while in the DoD IDES process as medical evidence for any particular medical condition. Hope this helps! Take care!

Best Wishes!

Let me start by saying that I am currently going trough the MEB process and my case has been stuck waiting on VA ratings for almost 60 days now. Anyway I applied for SSD back in January of this year and I have been following any updates on my case through my social security website. About two weeks ago my status changed to the following: Benefit Application under review. " A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your benefit application. A Social security representative may contact you if we need any additional documents or information"
I called my local Social Security Office yesterday to get an update and I was told that they were waiting to receive my proof of age. I went to the Social Security office to turn in a copy of my birth certificate and after talking to the guy and asking about my case he told me the following: Well it shows that a decision has not been made in your case however it shows that the Disability Determination Service found you disabled. Does this mean that my application was approved and I'm just waiting or does it mean that it still has to go trough the process and be approved/denied by someone else?? I'm confused.

Thanks for your help

I was a commercial Pilot, and Air Traffic controller. A week before going to FAA Center in OKC for training. I woke up in a hospital I was in a coma for a week, story is I went to sleep and had a terrible seizure, I died but my girl brought me back to life. My conditions are keratoconus, sleep apnea, and now seizures for the last 2 years, that wont stop every other week I seize. I take my pills, the day I crashed my car into a river on my way to work , I took my pills. Right now I'm I take 10 pills a day and still seize, convulsive, non-convulsive. I'm only 30, I went from living in miami and providing for my family, to stuck in my granny's house just waiting on the next seizure. I can't even risk going out under the sun due to the heat causing stress on my brain. I'm telling you this because, I to have "A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you directly if we need any additional documents or information." On my SSA Account page. Knowing full well that I'll probably have to wait another year before I can see a judge, I don't expect the system to work for me. Hopefully I've helped someone understand the waiting process, but furthermore regardless of your situation it seems like it's a dice roll on whether it's going to be a few months or a few years.

The timeline is very different between civilians (ATC) and AD military.