Cramping Fasciculation Syndrome

DesertRat1234

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey everyone, there are only a few posts about Cramping Fasciculation Syndrome (makes sense because it's extremely rare). As such, I wanted to post my story as it may help someone in the future.

Cramping Fasciculation Syndrome is a disease where a person's potassium delivery pathway is damaged, so their muscles don't receive the fuel they require to function. This excites a person's peripheral nerves which causes the muscle fasciculations (twitches). In addition, it can cause severe whole muscle group cramping for no reason. A simple sneeze, going to the bathroom, moving the wrong way can result in incredibly severe cramps that a person must "wait out"

I began experiencing the following symptoms about 4 years ago (2018):

Constant muscle twitches, tightness, extreme muscle cramps in my lower legs. The fasciculations never stop. I'm told even under anesthesia that the muscles of folks with this condition continue to fasciculate. I experienced some trouble using my calves and feet when sitting for a while but the muscles would usually stretch out after a few minutes of walking.

As the years went on, more severe cramping began to occur as indicated in the description of the disease above.

I tried to treat this with over the counter electrolyte solutions to no avail. My symptoms continued to get worse (more so in the summer when I perspired more), often times waking me up in the middle of the night. So, in 2020, I went to my primary care provider to identify what was wrong with me. He sent me to a neurologist (which took me 9 months to see) off post. After my second visit, she was able to diagnose me. Unfortunately, there isn't a cure, nor is there a standard medicine that reduces symptoms. While this won't kill me (allegedly), it's pretty debilitating.

As soon as my primary care provider received the clinical notes from my neurologist, she initiated the MEB.

I will come back here from time to time to update my findings and discuss my C&P exam results if there is interest.

For those that are curious, I was rated at 60% for this disease with an overall rating of 100% disabled. I've got other posts that go into more detail but wanted to close the loop on this entry.