CRDP Amount

Cheese1962

Registered Member
Ron, I was medically retired on 28 Jan 2009.
27 years 10 months total service.
20 year NG letter Apr 2001
3917 active duty points
4968 points for ret. Pay
5079 total career points
Eligible for mil. Retirement 6 Sep 2021 due to age drop
$3400 VA I/U 80%
60% Army
$1236 CRSC
Will it be in addition to my retirement which is approximately $2200
Rank was SSG

Will DFAS Give me CRDP and if so how much?

Ron, I was medically retired on 28 Jan 2009.
27 years 10 months total service.
20 year NG letter Apr 2001
3917 active duty points
4968 points for ret. Pay
5079 total career points
Eligible for mil. Retirement 6 Sep 2021 due to age drop
$3400 VA I/U 80%
60% Army
$1236 CRSC
Will it be in addition to my retirement which is approximately $2200
Rank was SSG

Will DFAS Give me CRDP and if so how much?
Hello @Cheese1962

One cannot receive CRDP and CRSC at the same time.

CRDP is not in addition to retirement, it is retired pay itself which allows the retiree to receive both their retired pay and VA comp concurrently.
It has certain restrictions, just as CRSC does.

If your CRSC at 1236 is based on the longevity portion of your retired pay, then you would gain nothing by choosing CRDP since it cannot be more than the longevity portion of retired pay. What was your CRSC approved at (percentage)?

You said, "Will it be in addition to my retirement which is approximately $2200./" Are you receiving retired pay PLUS a certain amount of CRSC (i.e., 1236)?

Depending on your answers, you might be asked to provide much more info that what you have furnished (much of it cannot be used by me to compute entitlement).

Ron

$1236@60% CRSC
I'm eligible for Reserve Retirement on 6 September of this year due to 9 month Age Drop
DFAS said they will give me the one that pays the most

$1236@60% CRSC
I'm eligible for Reserve Retirement on 6 September of this year due to 9 month Age Drop
DFAS said they will give me the one that pays the most
Yes, DFAS will automatically pay the amount that is higher, but you can change it if you wish.

It looks like you might be receiving your longevity amount as CRSC. A review of the VA comp charts did not show 1236, but I did not attempt all the combinations.

You just mentioned, Haven't received my first retirement check yet. Estimated at $2206. Your retired pay is going to be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. 2206 becomes zero with CRSC....however, at this point i do not know your DoD disability gross pay yet. I will likely look at this much later tonight. Again, I can do nothing without all the info requested.

I will attempt to give you a clear picture once you provide all the info requested below in one reply. Again...all the info is needed.

CRSC Estimate...will also be used for CRDP and retired pay

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Accurate information needed within one reply:

1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) RECOMMENDATION: As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.

2.--DoD disability percentage

3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360). Your retirement orders will show your active duty equivalent on page one, about 3/4 down the first page as “Disability Retirement”.

4. --VA compensation (All of the following):
a. percentage;
b. amount;
c. dependents by category;
and ages of dependent children.
d. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.

6.--Whether you qualify for another type of retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system.

7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment? If REDUX was received, then all the info (amounts and description) on page one of your DFAS RAS is needed in addition to other info requested. Please show a description for each item.

8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option?

---Ron

Hello @Cheese1962 ,

The following is provided to show why the info requested earlier is necessary for an analysis. Obviously, it not a simple matter of just looking at a chart. Bottom line up front: The DFAS is going to automatically pay the higher of CRDP or CRSC.

Based on the limited information you have provided, here is how your disability retired pay would have been computed:
1. Your DoD disability retired pay would be the higher of:

a. 60% x average high three base pay
or
b
. Your active duty equivalent (shown as "Disability Retirement" 3/4 down on the first page of your retirement orders) x 2.5% x average high three base pay
The average high three base pay is the total of your highest 36 months of pay divided by 36.

2. Your retired pay would have been reduced/waived/offset dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Any left over (residual) retired pay you would keep.

3. CRSC if approved, would replace the reduced/waived/offset retired pay by the LESSER of

a
. Your active duty equivalent (shown as "Disability Retirement" 3/4 down on the first page of your retirement orders) x 2.5% x average high three base pay
or
b
. The amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by your service. The amount is found in the VA compensation tables.

The combination of CRSC and residual retired pay (see item 2) cannot exceed the amount determined at item 3a.

Now that you have an approved reserve/NG retirement, the following will apply:
4. Your DoD retired pay would be the higher of:

a. 60% DoD disability percentage x average high three base pay
or
b
The average high three base pay is the total of your highest 36 months of pay divided by 36.

5. Your retired pay will be reduced/waived/offset dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Any left over (residual) retired pay you would keep.

6. If you choose CRSC, the same formula shown at item three above will apply.

7. If you chose CRDP, your offset retired pay will be replaced by the amount determined by the following
Your active duty equivalent (shown as "Disability Retirement" 3/4 down on the first page of your retirement orders) x 2.5% x average high three base pay
The combination of CRDP and residual retired pay (see item 2) cannot exceed the amount determined at item 4b.

Summary:
The DFAS is going to automatically pay the higher of CRDP or CRSC.

Good luck,
Ron