CRDP and a Permanent rating

Antonio33

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Question everyone,

Just signed my 199. Army 70% PERMANENT, VA 90%. Will be receiving the 100% VA once I send in the CPAP documents. But I want to highlight and PERMANENT first time outcome from the ARMY. Im Very happy about that. And here's why.

I don't have 20 years active duty so I thought I was 100% sure that I didn't qualify for CRDP. But I do have 15 good years. So my first thought was to work on getting the magical 15 year letter (NOE) so that I can apply for retirement at retirement age. ( I know I cant receive it now unless I have 20) But upon doing some research, I was told that its possible that those individuals found permanent when being medically retired, may qualify for concurrent. Is this true?? If so, please advise. Otherwise I need to just focus on this 15 year letter.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello Antonio,

If a medical retiree (CH 61) also qualifies for another type military retirement such as regular (20 AD) or non-regular (RC/NG) then they could be eligible for CRDP. Generally, the regular retiree will receive CRDP immediately if otherwise qualified. The non-regular must also meet the age requirement in addition to having 20 good years.

The only 15-year retirement that qualifies for CRDP is TERA. TERA is not a medical retirement.

See CRSC info here for another form of concurrent receipt: --->
Ron

stevenveteran

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Notification of Eligibility for Retired Pay at Age 60 - 15 Year Letter
April 1, 2020
Rate This Page:
Add to My Links

15 YEAR LETTER
Historically, the 15 year Notice of Eligibility was enacted in 1999 for physical disabilities not incurred in the line of duty per Title 10 USC 12731B. Title 10 USC 12731b, Special Rule for Members with Physical Disabilities Not Incurred in the Line of Duty, governs issuance of the 15 year Notification of Eligibility (NOE) letter. In the case of a member of the Selected Reserve of a reserve component who no longer meets the qualifications for membership in the Selected Reserve solely because the member is unfit because of physical disability, the Secretary concerned may, for purposes of section 12731 of this title, determine to treat the member as having met the service requirements of subsection (a)(2) of that section and provide the member with the notification required by subsection (d) of that section if the member has completed at least 15, and less than 20, years of service computed under section 12732 of this title. The Selected Reserves is comprised of Troop Program Units (TPU), Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMA), or Active Guard Reserve (AGR). Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Soldiers are not eligible for the 15 year NOE.
Effective March 12, 2009, new guidance was issued which reinterprets the intent of Title 10 USC 12371b. Previous guidance indicated eligibility was based on a physical disability not incurred in the line of duty. However, current interpretation of the law indicates that although its title infers applicability, it is only for members with disabilities not incurred in the line of duty; the law, as written, does not make this distinction. Therefore, the Early Qualification Retired Pay at Age 60 provision applies to all Selected Reserve Soldiers whether or not the physical disability was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

A Soldier may not qualify for this entitlement if the disability was the result of the member’s intentional misconduct, willful neglect, or willful failure to comply with standards and qualifications for retention established by the Secretary concerned or the disability was incurred during a period of unauthorized absence.

For non-duty related medical disqualifications, Army Reserve TPU Soldiers will submit requests for Reassignments to the Retired Reserve Due to Medical Disqualification on a DA Form 4651 (Request for Reassignment or Attachment) and DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action) through their chain of command to their Operational Functional Training and Supporting (OFTS) Command for approval. Intermediate commanders will prepare endorsement memorandums to indicate their recommendations and include contact name, telephone and email. The OFTS Command will review and if approved, forward to the Regional Personnel Service Center (RPSC). The RPSC will review and mail the DA Form 4187 (request for 15- Year NOE) with the required documentation to HRC for issuance of the 15 year NOE.

Upon receipt, HRC will review the packet submitted to ensure all required documents have been submitted. Upon verification, HRC will process paperwork, produce a 15 year NOE and provide a copy to the RSC, place a copy in the Soldiers iPerm record and mail a hardcopy along with the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Packet to the Soldier. The RSC has 3 days to provide HRC a copy of the orders placing the Soldier in the Retired Reserve.

When a Soldier receive a 15 year NOE and is placed in the Retired Reserve, he will not be entitled to earn additional points towards non-regular retired pay unless specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Army. Retired pay at age 60 will be based only on points earned prior to transfer to the Retired Reserve.

Those Soldiers, who are injured in the line of duty, will be evaluated by the Physical Disability Agency. Upon being determined medically disqualified, and upon verification of 15 qualifying years but less than 20, HRC will issue a 15 year NOE if qualified.

If you have any questions concerning the 15-year letter of eligibility, contact the Human Resources Contact Center at 1-888-276-9472. All written inquiries must be directed to [email protected] or mail to:

ATTN TAGD (AHRC-PDP-TR)
Human Resources Command
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue Dept 482
Ft Knox KY 40122-5402

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
With regard to 15 year NOE.

Ref: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64 * October 2018

CHAPTER 64 CONCURRENT RETIREMENT AND DISABILITY PAYMENT (CRDP)

6402 ELIGIBILITY

640203. Physical Disability Retirement Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP, unless they have 20 years of service for determining entitlement to non-regular (reserve) retired pay and are otherwise eligible for such reserve retired pay.

640204. Non-Regular Retired Pay [reserve] Members eligible for retirement for non-regular service are not eligible to receive CRDP until they reach retirement age and have applied for and have become entitled to receive retired pay.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">