CRDP, CRSC questions....

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

It's maybe not as helpful, but I believe I recall @Jason Perry addressing a similar "reduction in age for Soldier medically discharged" inquiry via another PEB Forum member's post.

That said, I would suggest that you perform a search under the "Posted by member:" option for @Jason Perry to potentially locate the information you seek. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!
Thanks so much, i will search

Sir,

I am a USAR LTC with 23 qualifying "good" years who was mobilized in 2007 in support of Contingency Operation OEF with COADOS orders indicating 10 USC 301 (d). In September of 2012 I was placed on medical orders for medical evaluation and treatment 10 USC 301 (h) with a subsequent medical board placing me into the MEB/IDES system without a break in service.

My PEBLO recently informed me of my PEB/VA findings including a 30% PDR and VA 100% total and permanent service connected. She told me that because the VA is higher that will be who will pay my disability pay.

I was then informed by my VA Medical Service Cooridnator (MSC) that I am automatically eligible for the PRDP (VA and my retirement pay) and she gave me the DFAS document with the criteria listed.

I called HRC and DFAS to verify PRDP and my Reserve reduction in age eligibility in accordance with the National Defense Act of 2008. I signed the findings on July 31 believing that I was eligible for both the the VA disability pay and my reserve retirement pay. I called HRC back to make sure that all my orders qualified for the reduction in age. The HRC told me that the only way I would qualify for CRDP was to transfer to the Retired Reserve list. The only way this could be done was if I waived my medical 30% retirement. I frantically contacted my PEBLO who found out my packet had not been processed yet. Based on HRC advise I changed my election waiving my medical retirement as a LTC. I spent hours on the phone with HRC retirement and DFAS staff trying to ensure that I was making the best decision. I did not receive a definitive answer. In fact one of the HRC retirement staff changed his advise the second time I spoke with him.

I would prefer to be medically retired as a LTC from active duty with 30% PDR, but did not want to lose my reserve retirement, so elected to be transferred to the retired reserve list and begin to draw the retirement with the reduction in age, as they told me I could not receive it if I was medically retired from active duty.

Instead HRC told me that I would have to retire as a MAJ (had held this rank for only 2 years).

My question is as follows:

Can a Reserve Officer retiring with 30% PDR and 100% VA permanent disability be eligible CRDP and the reduction in age while being medically discharged from active duty.

Respectfully, LTC Cheri Schaffer
I've been reviewing Jason Perry posts. Thanks so much.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

It's maybe not as helpful, but I believe I recall @Jason Perry addressing a similar "reduction in age for Soldier medically discharged" inquiry via another PEB Forum member's post.

That said, I would suggest that you perform a search under the "Posted by member:" option for @Jason Perry to potentially locate the information you seek. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!
Thanks so much, i will search

Good deal and you are welcome! :)

To that extent, I hope you find the answer(s) to your inquiry.

Best Wishes!

Cheri,

I don't think what you did is correct. I believe you can be a medical retiree until you become eligible for your reserve retirement and then switch. That way you keep you disability retirement and it benefits until you reach age 60 (or earlier due to deployments).

Mike

Cheri,

I don't think what you did is correct. I believe you can be a medical retiree until you become eligible for your reserve retirement and then switch. That way you keep you disability retirement and it benefits until you reach age 60 (or earlier due to deployments).

Mike
Thanks Mike,