CRDP, CRSC questions....

tonyfromnj

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Maybe I have overlooked these threads, but I cannot seem to find good solid information regarding whether I would qualify for either of these benefits.

I just received my ratings (70% DOD TDRL and 100% VA). They gave me TDRL due to a 50% PTSD rating which they related to combat.

That said, I have 10 years in, just finishing up the MEB process now as I just got my ratings and on my way out the door shortly. That said, I will be receiving the VA disability pay at the 100% level which is great, but am I eligible for additional benefits/money from the DOD as well (besides Tricare)?

It is very confusing to try to figure out the offset, and all the conflicting information that I have found online.

If anyone has gone through this and knows, based on my example above (10 years TIS--enlisted active duty, 70% DOD, 100% VA), what I can be looking at, please let me know.

Thank you.

Maybe I have overlooked these threads, but I cannot seem to find good solid information regarding whether I would qualify for either of these benefits.

I just received my ratings (70% DOD TDRL and 100% VA). They gave me TDRL due to a 50% PTSD rating which they related to combat.

That said, I have 10 years in, just finishing up the MEB process now as I just got my ratings and on my way out the door shortly. That said, I will be receiving the VA disability pay at the 100% level which is great, but am I eligible for additional benefits/money from the DOD as well (besides Tricare)?

It is very confusing to try to figure out the offset, and all the conflicting information that I have found online.

If anyone has gone through this and knows, based on my example above (10 years TIS--enlisted active duty, 70% DOD, 100% VA), what I can be looking at, please let me know.

Thank you.

It's maybe not as helpful, but reference the previously posted reply from one of your other threads as follows:

The below excerpt is referenced from the URL http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html as follows:

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) are programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to receive monthly entitlements in addition to retired pay.

CRSC is a special compensation for combat-related disabilities. It is non-taxable, and retirees must apply to their Branch of Service to receive it. CRSC is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving.

CRDP is a restoration of retired pay for retirees with service-connected disabilities, and it is taxable. No application is required. Eligible retirees receive CRDP automatically. You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Moreover, the purpose of these entitlements is to recover some or all of the retired pay that military retirees waive for VA disability compensation. To that extent, I suggest that you visit the aforementioned URL for additional information about CRDP and/or CRSC pay eligibility.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Sounds like you should be eligible for CRSC. And that is probably your only other compensation option from the DoD side.

Beyond that there's GI Bill BAH, VA healthcare coverage for any and all medical conditions (and I think maybe even dental since you are 100%), VGLI with no medical exam if applied within, I think, 120 days (maybe within 240 days) of separation, post access to include PX and commissary since retired...just to name a few benefits.

Other income possibilities are SSDI, unemployment.

Since you are TDRL, you need to get to your nearest VA hospital as soon as you can following separation in order to maintain treatment for your said conditions.

Thanks ceilingfan. I am quite confused as to how to calculate potential CRSC benefits. Wish there was an easy calculator for it.

Yeah, you got me, man...members have posted multiple links to CRSC calculator and I can never get them to work. Supposedly, DFAS recently fixed some type of CRSC calculator "glitch" that was preventing some retirees from receiving full amount. I receive CRSC...but I've never been successful in 100% verifying I'm receiving the correct amount (no where on DFAS can I find an actual CRSC calculation app/tool). lol. With that being said, DFAS has never been wrong on any of my other pay issues (not that DFAS isn't wrong sometimes).

There are other threads which go into great detail about how CRSC is calculated.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.
CRDP is a "phase in" of benefits that gradually restores a retiree's VA disability offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will gradually increase each year until the phase in is complete in 2014.
You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically.
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
•you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
•you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
•you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
•you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
In addition to monthly CRDP payments, you may be eligible for a retroactive payment. DFAS will audit your account to determine whether or not you are due retroactive payment. An audit of your account requires researching pay information from both DFAS and VA.
If you are due any money from DFAS, you will receive it within 30-60 days of receipt of your first CRDP monthly payment. If DFAS finds that you are also due a retroactive payment from the VA, we will forward an audit to the VA. They are responsible for paying any money they may owe you.
Your retroactive payment date may go as far back as January 1, 2004, but can be limited based on:
•your retirement date or
•when you first increased to at least 50 percent disability rating
No CRDP is payable for any month before January 2004.

Individual Unemployability
You are eligible for full concurrent receipt of both your VA disability compensation and your retired pay, if you are a military retiree who meets all of the above eligibility requirements in addition to both of the following:
•you are rated by the VA as unemployable, generally referred to as Individual Unemployability (IU)
•you are in receipt of VA disability compensation as a result of IU
This is effective October 1, 2008 and is retroactive to January 1, 2005.

From what I learned from DFAS, each branch of service is supposed to send a MEMO to DFAS those SMs with 20 year letter and the reduced retirement age eligibility based on the active duty they performed under section 647. On the Army side they refused and received the following e-mail:

From: USARMY Ft Knox HRC Mailbox TAGD Ask HRC [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 9:36 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: FW: Issues on Reserves and CRDP (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

LTC(R) Ripley,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Army Human Resource Command (HRC) in reference to CRDP eligibility.

The CRDP program is managed by DFAS and Concurrent Receipt is automatic, HRC does not assist with the decision making criteria for the CRDP program.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact HRC at: Toll Free: 1-888-276-9472 (888-ARMYHRC), via email: [email protected].

The Human Resource Command thanks you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We would also like to convey our appreciation and gratitude for your selfless service to the Army and our Nation.

Very Respectfully,
Customer Care Representative
Department of the Army
U.S. Army Human Resource Command

After that e-mail where they refuse to communicate with DFAS, DFAS cannot do anything without the stated MEMO, filed a Congressional as I do have a 20 year letter dated August 2002, been mobilized via various orders from 5 September 2005 until medically retired on 29 January 2013, and I am 58 years old. Contacted USARC (United States Army Reserve Command) but outside of that now sure what else to do.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.
CRDP is a "phase in" of benefits that gradually restores a retiree's VA disability offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will gradually increase each year until the phase in is complete in 2014.
You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically.
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
•you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
•you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
•you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
•you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

This is CRDP and not the information he requires.

He Needs Information on CRSC and a calculator that works... :cool:

Thank you NDBravehart. Still have not gotten a great answer on this. I tried using some calculator I found on DFAS, but maybe I entered the numbers in incorrectly because it shows $0 for me. I think that is because my DOD rating is less than VA rating? I'm not sure. I wish there was a thread that fully explained this, or someone who is 100% certain as to how it works.

At this point I guess I"m going to apply no matter what, but for budgeting purposes, I want to know if I will get any money.

70% DOD TDRL (50% for PTSD, that is why TDRL)--it is combat related to Iraq war and is documented as such.

100% VA disability for multiple conditions

In one of the treads from a year ago was one that really worked well... pittpan2005 is awesome running the numbers too(might PM him, he's great:) ). Because of my TBI I get them all mucked up with the numbers input. I look at CRSC as just a little extra bonus money that goes into the raining day fund (not for spending, but for future). I actually withdraw it and place it in a safe deposit box. My situation is similar 14 active duty, 90% TDRL/ 100% TP VA and I collect SSDI. I don't get it all back, maybe just a little under half... ;)

Thank you NDBravehart. Still have not gotten a great answer on this. I tried using some calculator I found on DFAS, but maybe I entered the numbers in incorrectly because it shows $0 for me. I think that is because my DOD rating is less than VA rating? I'm not sure. I wish there was a thread that fully explained this, or someone who is 100% certain as to how it works.

At this point I guess I"m going to apply no matter what, but for budgeting purposes, I want to know if I will get anymoney.

70% DOD TDRL (50% for PTSD, that is why TDRL)--it is combat related to Iraq war and is documented as such.

Try this one: davebarker.portalone.us/CRSC_Calc.xls , It's the one I'm thinking about from last year... and worked damn well. :cool:

At this point I guess I"m going to apply no matter what, but for budgeting purposes, I want to know if I will get any money.

The Program: The CRSC program pays a special compensation to qualifying members who have

military retired pay offset because of receipt of VA compensation that is determined to be for combat related disabilities.

Eligible Members: To be eligible during any time period, a member must have disabilities that are

determined by the parent Military Service to be the direct result of armed conflict, especially hazardous

military duty, training exercises that simulate war, or caused by an instrumentality of war. Such

disabilities must be compensated by the Department of Veterans Affairs and result in an offset to

military retired pay.

Effective January 1, 2008, eligible members are those entitled to military retired pay for any reason

(other than those reserve component members retired with physical disabilities not incurred in line of

duty), without regard to their years of service and who receive VA compensation for combat-related

disabilities that result in offset to military retired pay.

Payment Amount: The CRSC benefit is equal to the amount of VA compensation that is determined to

be attributable to combat-related disabilities. However, the CRSC benefit amount may not exceed the

total amount that is offset from military retired pay due to receipt of VA disability compensation,

regardless of combat-relatedness.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability

under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement reduced by the amount

their military disability retired pay exceeds the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for

retirement with at least 20 years of service. Disability retirees with less than 20 years of service must have

the CRSC entitlement reduced by the amount their military disability retired pay exceeds the amount

calculated as for a regular retirement (i.e. 2½ percent x years of service x pay base). Note: this may result

in a significant reduction or elimination of CRSC for members with few years of service.

Tax Exempt: CRSC payments are tax exempt.

Application Required: Members must apply to their own branch of service using DD form 2860,

Claim for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC). The form is available at:

http://www.dod.gov/prhome/mppcrsc.html.

This should answer a lot, let me know if you have other questions..... :cool:

Hope This Helps.... like I said I don't include it all in any budget and I'm not spending it. It's tax free salting away $$$ :cool:

If your VA is greater than your DoD, then CRSC is the lesser of two amounts - Your LOS based retirement or the amount of VA compensation for your combat related conditions.

Mike

Sir, in my case my DOD is greater than my VA 100% TP Compensation... does that have and impact?

CRSC is compensation based on combat related injuries based on VA rating. For Ch. 61 retirees, CRSC is the lesser of the following 2 amounts, retired pay based on years of service or the amount rated by VA that is deemed combat related.

In my case, I was retired from the Army with 12 yrs 9 months in service as an E-6. My retired pay based on years of service is $1088. Calculation is as follows: High 3 is $3375, 12 yrs 9 months x 2.5= 32.25% for retirement purpose based on LOS so 32.25% of $3375=$1088 which is the amount for LOS.

Now, my combat related conditions that are rated by the VA equals to 80%. The amount for 80% disability, married with 2 children equals to $1782.

Because my CRSC is the lesser of the the two amounts, my monthly payment is $1088. If my retirement payment from DoD based on LOS had been greater than $1782 which is the amount for 80% VA rating, then my CRSC amount would have been $1782. Hope this helps.

I am having a problem and not sure how to attack it. I received a rating of 90% from VA and 70% Army. HRC sent DFAS the attached file. I was Reserve that started in June 1976 and was medically retired with the rank of LTC on 29 January 2013. They are claiming I am being denied CRDP due to the amount of retirement I am receiving. I have read PL 110-181 Section 647, HR 6523 Sections 633 and 635, also DoDI 1215.07 Section 5 and did not read anywhere where CRDP is to be denied based on retirement income. Could someone explain it to me please, especially since I know for a fact an O-6 is granted CRDP which makes more than an O-5.

Attachments

• Combined documentation on CRDP.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
I am having a problem and not sure how to attack it. I received a rating of 90% from VA and 70% Army. HRC sent DFAS the attached file. I was Reserve that started in June 1976 and was medically retired with the rank of LTC on 29 January 2013. They are claiming I am being denied CRDP due to the amount of retirement I am receiving. I have read PL 110-181 Section 647, HR 6523 Sections 633 and 635, also DoDI 1215.07 Section 5 and did not read anywhere where CRDP is to be denied based on retirement income. Could someone explain it to me please, especially since I know for a fact an O-6 is granted CRDP which makes more than an O-5.
Have you found an answer to Your dilema yet? I am a mobilized U.S. Army Reservist reservist (LTC) since 2007 with 23 qualifying years of service who meets the eligibility criteria for the reduction in age. I recently received a PEB/VA rating of 30% PDR and 100% VA total and permanent disability service connected. Been trying to clarify the reduction in age for a Soldier medically discharged vs Reserve retiree list. Many phone calls and still not clear on what I should decide.

Have you found an answer to Your dilema yet? I am a mobilized U.S. Army Reservist reservist (LTC) since 2007 with 23 qualifying years of service who meets the eligibility criteria for the reduction in age. I recently received a PEB/VA rating of 30% PDR and 100% VA total and permanent disability service connected. Been trying to clarify the reduction in age for a Soldier medically discharged vs Reserve retiree list. Many phone calls and still not clear on what I should decide.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

It's maybe not as helpful, but I believe I recall @Jason Perry addressing a similar "reduction in age for Soldier medically discharged" inquiry via another PEB Forum member's post.

That said, I would suggest that you perform a search under the "Posted by member:" option for @Jason Perry to potentially locate the information you seek. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Sir,

I am a USAR LTC with 23 qualifying "good" years who was mobilized in 2007 in support of Contingency Operation OEF with COADOS orders indicating 10 USC 301 (d). In September of 2012 I was placed on medical orders for medical evaluation and treatment 10 USC 301 (h) with a subsequent medical board placing me into the MEB/IDES system without a break in service.

My PEBLO recently informed me of my PEB/VA findings including a 30% PDR and VA 100% total and permanent service connected. She told me that because the VA is higher that will be who will pay my disability pay.

I was then informed by my VA Medical Service Cooridnator (MSC) that I am automatically eligible for the PRDP (VA and my retirement pay) and she gave me the DFAS document with the criteria listed.

I called HRC and DFAS to verify PRDP and my Reserve reduction in age eligibility in accordance with the National Defense Act of 2008. I signed the findings on July 31 believing that I was eligible for both the the VA disability pay and my reserve retirement pay. I called HRC back to make sure that all my orders qualified for the reduction in age. The HRC told me that the only way I would qualify for CRDP was to transfer to the Retired Reserve list. The only way this could be done was if I waived my medical 30% retirement. I frantically contacted my PEBLO who found out my packet had not been processed yet. Based on HRC advise I changed my election waiving my medical retirement as a LTC. I spent hours on the phone with HRC retirement and DFAS staff trying to ensure that I was making the best decision. I did not receive a definitive answer. In fact one of the HRC retirement staff changed his advise the second time I spoke with him.

I would prefer to be medically retired as a LTC from active duty with 30% PDR, but did not want to lose my reserve retirement, so elected to be transferred to the retired reserve list and begin to draw the retirement with the reduction in age, as they told me I could not receive it if I was medically retired from active duty.

Instead HRC told me that I would have to retire as a MAJ (had held this rank for only 2 years).

My question is as follows:

Can a Reserve Officer retiring with 30% PDR and 100% VA permanent disability be eligible CRDP and the reduction in age while being medically discharged from active duty.

Respectfully, LTC Cheri Schaffer