CRDP eligibility

vaifan

Registered Member
Good day all,

I am finishing up the IDES process, received my DA Form 199 yesterday.
The facts:
1. I have my 20 year letter from the Michigan Guard
2. DoD awarded 40% disability
3. VA awarded 50%
4. 30% of my VA compensation is combat related
5. I'm 53 years old

The question:
Am I eligible for CRDP upon retirement, or do I need to wait until I hit 60 years old?

Thanks a lot

Good day all,

I am finishing up the IDES process, received my DA Form 199 yesterday.
The facts:
1. I have my 20 year letter from the Michigan Guard
2. DoD awarded 40% disability
3. VA awarded 50%
4. 30% of my VA compensation is combat related
5. I'm 53 years old

The question:
Am I eligible for CRDP upon retirement, or do I need to wait until I hit 60 years old?

Thanks a lot
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, congratulations to all of your successes while completing the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process! :D Take care and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Depending on the circumstances of your combat related, you make be eligible for CRSC. Best wish. Mike

Hello everyone, this my first post. I am currently awaiting Adjudication. I received the letter dated August 10 that is moving to that phase.

I have a question about the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay Too. I fount this:

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Now my question is, does a person have to meet all criteria or at least one?
In my thought process, if you only have to meet one, anyone qualifying for the PDBR with at least 30% military and 50% VA would qualify. Having your PDBR approved would mean that you are entitled to retirement pay under provision of law, or am I wrong?

Hello everyone, this my first post. I am currently awaiting Adjudication. I received the letter dated August 10 that is moving to that phase.

I have a question about the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay Too. I fount this:

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Now my question is, does a person have to meet all criteria or at least one?
In my thought process, if you only have to meet one, anyone qualifying for the PDBR with at least 30% military and 50% VA would qualify. Having your PDBR approved would mean that you are entitled to retirement pay under provision of law, or am I wrong?

Everything on that list above is mutually exclusive...therefore you would only meet one of the list above.

• Active Duty, 20 years
  • Reserve Component/National Guard, 20 years (retirement does not begin until age 60 unless you qualify for early age drop)
  • TERA (retired early, typically after 15 years)
  • Retired for any other reason no listed above

30% DoD solely would not qualify you for CRDP because it is a medical retirement and current law prohibits you from collecting a medical retirement and VA C&P pay concurrently. There is an exception to this which is CRSC. CRSC is not automatic and must be applied for and approved by the branch of service you served in.

CRDP was a confusing one for me too. Agree with everything gsfowler said.

Rule 1: medical retirement is not a regular retirement, so PDBR alone would not make you eligible.
Rule 2: must meet a time/age requirement
Rule 3: TERA usually happens late in your career
Rule 4: must be entitled to retire for a reason other than disability.

CRDP was a confusing one for me too. Agree with everything gsfowler said.

Rule 1: medical retirement is not a regular retirement, so PDBR alone would not make you eligible.
Rule 2: must meet a time/age requirement
Rule 3: TERA usually happens late in your career
Rule 4: must be entitled to retire for a reason other than disability.

Oh, duh I got it now. thank you!

Everything on that list above is mutually exclusive...therefore you would only meet one of the list above.
  • Active Duty, 20 years
  • Reserve Component/National Guard, 20 years (retirement does not begin until age 60 unless you qualify for early age drop)
  • TERA (retired early, typically after 15 years)
  • Retired for any other reason no listed above
30% DoD solely would not qualify you for CRDP because it is a medical retirement and current law prohibits you from collecting a medical retirement and VA C&P pay concurrently. There is an exception to this which is CRSC. CRSC is not automatic and must be applied for and approved by the branch of service you served in.