Crohn's (a couple of questions)

Aphelps

PEB Forum Regular Member
My husband was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and we are trying to find out a little bit of information. This website has been a huge help.
He is active duty Navy E5 with 4 years service of a 5 year contract.

Questions:

1) I noticed when I read the Schedule of Ratings for the Digestive System that Crohn's disease was not listed. How recent is this list, and is there somewhere we can find out the ratings for Crohn's?

2) My husband's doctor told us that the boards rarely find someone with Crohn's fit. However we are finding that some people who's Crohn's is "well controlled" are found fit. How can we find out what the definition of "well controlled" is. The Navy's Manuel of the Medical Department has no listing for retention and re-enlistment only enlistment, however Army Standards of Medical Fitness states that soldiers with Crohn's may be retained if it is "responding well to treatment" and it is "regional" How can we possibly plan if we can't find out by what criteria the board will judge my husband's case?

Thanks again for your help.

1. Not a doctor but am relatively familiar with this. In addition to the ratings xeno mentioned, depending upon location/extent of the disease it could also be characterized as enteritis (inflamation of the small intestine) in fact I have often heard of it refered chron's as "regional enteritis" If it involves both intestines it could also be entercolitis.

2. All depends upon how it is sold. I have a friend who had part of small intestine removed for something similar and was found fit. I was diagnosed with colitis and found fit. I also have some friends who were found unfit with similar situations. Remember there is risk in pushing for a fit finding as the navy can admin sep you if found not deployable

Who actually makes the decision to admin sep someone? Is it a blanket ruling? You have Crohn's we don't like people with Crohn's you're getting the boot. Or is it done on a case by case basis? (I am not just asking about what the Navy SAYS is done but what is actually done) Who determines deployability?