RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Amy said:
“Good Evening,
I just received my CRSC with an approval of 40% for fibromyalgia.

I served 11.5 years in the Army
Medically Retired as a SSG in 2013
VA disability is 60%
I received the attached documents and have no idea what I am reading, what I should expect.” [documents not carried over from PM].

Also provided:
1249 gross retired pay
CRSC 40%

Estimate information.

Much of the needed info is missing as I explained earlier.

1. 1249 is your gross retired pay. What was the Dod Disability Retirement percentage you were given?
(1249/percentage DoD) = high three
2. What s the amount of your VA compensation, and number of dependents by category ?
3. (11.5 years AD x 0.025) = 28.75% longevity multiplier
4. (High three x 0.2875) = longevity portion of retired pay
5. CRSC @ 40% (with unknown dependents) = amount found in VA compensation tables
6. Your CRSC would be the lesser of item 4 or item 5.

Ron

Amy said:
“Good Evening,
I just received my CRSC with an approval of 40% for fibromyalgia.

I served 11.5 years in the Army
Medically Retired as a SSG in 2013
VA disability is 60%
I received the attached documents and have no idea what I am reading, what I should expect.” [documents not carried over from PM].

Also provided:
1249 gross retired pay
CRSC 40%

Estimate information.

Much of the needed info is missing as I explained earlier.

1. 1249 is your gross retired pay. What was the Dod Disability Retirement percentage you were given?
(1249/percentage DoD) = high three
2. What s the amount of your VA compensation, and number of dependents by category ?
4. (High three x 0.2875) = longevity portion of retired pay
5. CRSC @ 40% (with unknown dependents) = amount found in VA compensation tables
6. Your CRSC would be the lesser of item 4 or item 5.

Ron
1. Army gave me 40% at medical retirement
2. 1490 is the total amount I receive for 60% spouse and five dependent children
3. Yes
4. Not sure of this

1. Army gave me 40% at medical retirement
2. 1490 is the total amount I receive for 60% spouse and five dependent children
3. Yes
4. Not sure of this
Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Here is an estimate based on the info you provided.

1. 1249 is your gross retired pay. Your Dod Disability Retirement percentage = 40%
(1249/0.40) = 3122.50 high three
2. amount of your VA compensation= 1490 (this reduces your retirement pay to zero)
4. (High three 3122.50 x 0.2875) = 897.72 longevity portion of retired pay
5. CRSC @ 40% = amount found in VA compensation tables 735.73 + (4 x 33) = 867.73
6. Your CRSC would be the lesser of item 4 or item 5 = 867.73

Ron

Thank you so much for your help. Do you know if they Retro pay back to the effective date that doesn’t exceed 6 years? My effective date shows December 2013

Thank you so much for your help. Do you know if they Retro pay back to the effective date that doesn’t exceed 6 years? My effective date shows December 2013
Retroactive payment of CRSC often involves payment back to the effective date...not to exceed 6 years. DFAS will perform an audit to determine if you are due retro CRSC.

Ron

Thank you...my pleasure...

Ron

Does this mean I am electing the CRSC program versus my VA Disability?
No, I think you are confusing CRSC entitlement with the option one has to

--agree to accept VA compensation and have their retired pay reduced by the same amount (i.e., a waiver of retired pay in the amount of VA comp)
or
--decline VA compensation and receive just receive retired pay
Notes: If there is residual (left over) retired pay after the waiver, the retiree retains it.
I have never seen a case (or even conceive of one) where it would be more advantageous to decline VA compensation.

CRSC is the mechanism that replaces some or all of the reduced/waived retired pay.

Finally, you will continue to receive your VA compensation.

Ron

Thank you, someone stayed I would not receive both.

I contacted DFAS and they stated they received my approval and uploaded it yesterday (10/1/2019) but I should not expect my initial payment November 1,2019. Do you happen to know if this is true?

Thank you, someone stayed I would not receive both.

I contacted DFAS and they stated they received my approval and uploaded it yesterday (10/1/2019) but I should not expect my initial payment November 1,2019. Do you happen to know if this is true?

I can only offer that the payment date for 1-30 September 2019 has already passed. The payment for 1-31 October 2019 will be on 1 November 2019. Real-time CRSC payments are made on the first day of a month, unless the first is on a weekend or holiday...then the payment is made the last non-weekend (or non-holiday) date.

Retroactive payments can be made any workday of a month. You can expect a wait of 1-3 months (or more) for your retro CRSC.

Ron

Speaking on retro pay. I called DFAS this past Friday to inquire about if I am entitled to any retro pay. DFAS told me that they completed their audit(didn't give specifics on when it was completed)and sent it to the VA to be audited. I called the VA and asked them about if they received DFAS audit and was told no.

I was approved for CRSC on April of this year with an effective date of April 2018.

The DFAS sends audit results to the VA only once a month ...around the 5th.

That was a curious action by DFAS since the audit should have resulted in back pay for CRSC (if any due).

From phone
Ron

Ron, that was going to be my question to you. Shouldn't the DFAS audit include an audit of the VA payments to insure there was not an over payment or underpayment and those results are sent to the VA if that is the case. If there was an over payment money should be deducted from the back pay at this point.

Ron,
I currently have an debt with the VA for Battle Assembly days I did prior to retirement.

Ron, that was going to be my question to you. Shouldn't the DFAS audit include an audit of the VA payments to insure there was not an over payment or underpayment and those results are sent to the VA if that is the case. If there was an over payment money should be deducted from the back pay at this point.
You are correct in that any prior VA payments made in error (per the DFAS audit) are reported to the VA. So...if the audit showed a discrepancy, then the CRSC retro might be suspended until the matter is resolved.

Ron

Ron,
I currently have an debt with the VA for Battle Assembly days I did prior to retirement.
That likely explains the audit documentation being forwarded to the VA. Additionally, I have never explored the possibility that the DFAS routinely sends a copy to the VA, even in cases where that is no potential adjustment. Perhaps that is the case.

Ron