CRSC and FERS and NOT waiving military retired pay...

@ndy856
I have little knowledge about FERS.

However, there are two different issues being discussed here.
1. "My PDRL retirement orders from the Army specifically state the combat disability. The key words in the OPM regulation are Here is the excerpt of what my orders say:
Disability is based on injury or disease received in LOD as a direct Result of Armed Conflict or
caused by an instrumentality of war period as defined by law: YES
Disability resulted from a combat related injury as defined in 26 USC 104: YES"

AND

2. "CRSC decision is the main key here that determines whether your current ongoing Blue Card benefits right now..."
Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is not the same thing as the issue at item one.

3. Item one is a DoD characterization of the disabilities that made a person unfit for continued service--those that were combat related.
Item two is an approved compensation that replaces some or all of waived retired pay that is considered Combat Related. A post-retirement application to one's service is required.
See: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---
When you separate 1 & 2 like this, are you saying one medical retiree who is a GS bought back time only need to be PDRL and not necessarily need CRCS to keep both benefits at the time of FERS pension payout? Maybe I’m now more confuse.
Background about my PDRL:
2017 med board PDRL but was found NOT combat relate
2021 finally won CRCS & will retro back effective 2017 via CRCs board.
Not sure if I should get my PDRL retirement memo change because of this CRCS, what does OPM look for from DFAS to not make me waive my Mil benefit at later time at FERS payout?

When you separate 1 & 2 like this, are you saying one medical retiree who is a GS bought back time only need to be PDRL and not necessarily need CRCS to keep both benefits at the time of FERS pension payout? Maybe I’m now more confuse.
Background about my PDRL:
2017 med board PDRL but was found NOT combat relate
2021 finally won CRCS & will retro back effective 2017 via CRCs board.
Not sure if I should get my PDRL retirement memo change because of this CRCS, what does OPM look for from DFAS to not make me waive my Mil benefit at later time at FERS payout?
No. I was only making a distinction between a retirement characterization and a type of military compensation for which one must apply.

You have brought a third issue to the table.

You are now talking about The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). Note the acronym CSRS.

I was speaking about CRSC (combat related special compensation) which is different from CSRC.

I have no further comments for this since I have no experience with buy backs and Federal retirement.

Good luck,
Ron

Disability is based on injury or disease received in LOD as a direct Result of Armed Conflict or
caused by an instrumentality of war period as defined by law: YES
Disability resulted from a combat related injury as defined in 26 USC 104: YES

This is what I used to have my time count towards leave accrual and to be able to not have to waive my retired pay under FERS. I was medically retired due to combat incurred injuries.

The key words from the OPM regulation are "you were awarded the retired pay: Due to a service-connected disability either incurred in combat..."; meaning you were retired because you had a unfitting combat related service-disability, not retired from a regular 20+ year of active duty AND have combat disabilities (CRSC compensated) .
so just the CRSC approval alone will not be good enough for OPM/FERS? the PDRL Retirement Order or LOD that was part of the PEBLO IDES process MUST show Armed Conflict/Combat evidence for FERS to NOT interrupt the DoD & CRCS monthly pay?

1. OPM is the deciding factor for FERS disability retirements, they no longer accept the DA 199 or letter from any organization. You must provide OPM with your medical records and they make the decision.

2. Through LOD’s , service treatment records, areas considered combat zones. The DA 199 will be accepted for qualifying combat related disabilities.
@SFC H
So when the CRSC recipient fails to prove this to FERS (OPM) at the time they start their FERS retirement process, will OPM then report to DFAS to then stop the CRSC checks to stop & forfeit and ONLY left the retiree with FERS monthly checks?

I already did the buyback paid fully 1st year as a GS back in 2018 but now I just got this new CRSC retroactive decision this week.
For the sake of me being able to keep the CRCS monthly pays & Tricare benefit even after FERS retirement later, should I:
A) Go back to USPDA requesting to change the line on my retirement order memo for '26 USC 104' from 'NO' to 'YES' because the CRSC board said so?
B) maybe A) Is that not necessary base on these codes on my CRCS injuries and OPM/DFAS will know not to forfeit/interrupt any of my DoD benefits?
C) Should I just get my Buy Back from FERS refunded entirely (from DFAS or OPM?) to undo my mistake?

Attachments

• USPDA retire order 2017.png
    USPDA retire order 2017.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 28
  • New CRSC letter 2021.png
    New CRSC letter 2021.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
I already did the buyback paid fully 1st year as a GS back in 2018 but now I just got this new CRSC retroactive decision this week.
For the sake of me being able to keep the CRCS monthly pays & Tricare benefit even after FERS retirement later, should I:
A) Go back to USPDA requesting to change the line on my retirement order memo for '26 USC 104' from 'NO' to 'YES' because the CRSC board said so?
B) maybe A) Is that not necessary base on these codes on my CRCS injuries and OPM/DFAS will know not to forfeit/interrupt any of my DoD benefits?
C) Should I just get my Buy Back from FERS refunded entirely (from DFAS or OPM?) to undo my mistake?
I would seek legal advice. @Jason Perry can possibly advise you on any future decision for your FERS.

@FmrArmyAvatr

From a post I made on another board—same case.

As I indicated elsewhere, I have nothing to offer concerning FERS, buyback or other civil service issues.

However, with regard to your CRSC:

Your orders dated 1 Sept 2017 include "Disability Retirement 1 year 4 months & 20 days".
That is your active duty equivalent which will significantly limit your CRSC as Nick has mentioned.

Your CRSC ceiling would be:
A. 1.333 AD years x 2.5% = 3.33% longevity multiplier

B. Average high three base pay x 3.33% = longevity portion of retired pay and likely your max CRSC (unless your received an approved CRSC rate that converted to a lesser amount when using the VA comp tables).

C. Example using a high three base pay of 2000.00 picked at random. 2000 x 3.33% = $66.60 which will never increase except when a COLA increase is applied.

Ron

For the FERS w. CRSC savvy folks,

If less than 20 years but medically retired with combat related injuries in the PEB findings and approved CRSC from the component, can the veteran maintain his special compensation and participate in the FERS buyback, if they accept the findings?

I am trying to do the same, i.e. buy back credible time for payment into my FERS annuity. A friend of mine is doing the same here some info he found.

Go onto the GRB site and print out these forms:

-FERS Creditable military service

-FERS creditable Civilian Service

-Application to make service credit payment

-Military service information request, schedule A,B and C

-Estimated earnings during Military Service

-Instructions and information sheet for SF 180, Request pertaining to Military records

He also went to Navycs.com for the pay charts back to 1980 to calculate each years pay to add the interest for each year.

Question is how much interest we have to add to the total payment into the FERS annuity????