CRSC Back Pay Time-Line

cheapho24

Registered Member
Hello guys I am new here was wondering if someone could help me about my question.. So I was retired Feb 2016 E5 11yrs in service. Married and Got 2 kids. Im at 90%VA and I applied March 2017 for crsc and receive a approval letter for 70%crsc October 2018. Yeah it was a long wait i don't know why.. Anyways I check my dfas account yesterday and says my retropay was $920. and get paid today my first payment. I was wondering if I will be receiving a back pay? it's a total of 20months of crsc since i applied...Hopefully anyone could give me hope. Thanks!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello guys I am new here was wondering if someone could help me about my question.. So I was retired Feb 2016 E5 11yrs in service. Married and Got 2 kids. Im at 90%VA and I applied March 2017 for crsc and receive a approval letter for 70%crsc October 2018. Yeah it was a long wait i don't know why.. Anyways I check my dfas account yesterday and says my retropay was $920. and get paid today my first payment. I was wondering if I will be receiving a back pay? it's a total of 20months of crsc since i applied...Hopefully anyone could give me hope. Thanks!
Your effective date for CRSC will be shown in the CRSC approval letter you received from your service. That is the primary factor in determining if you will receive retroactive payment.

You said you received "retro pay" of $920. The jargon term "retro" is usually used in military circles to indicate for an earlier period, as in "retroactive."

If your CRSC approval letter shows a retroactive effective date, you would be entitled to the LESSER of either:
--High three average base pay x 27.5% = dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay
OR
--The amount found in the VA compensation tables for 70% veteran with spouse and 2 children under 18 (guess at ages). The tables are also used for CRSC.
Note: If you have residual (left over) retired pay after the VA offset, that amount will reduce the CRSC payable each month.

Wait times for retro CRSC payments vary. I have seen a range from 1 month to 6 months in recent posts here and elsewhere.

Ron

Georgebrown201

Registered Member
I was approved for my CRSC in May 2019 for 50% Combat PTSD and my effective CRSC date is September 2014, will i get some back pay and how soon.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was approved for my CRSC in May 2019 for 50% Combat PTSD and my effective CRSC date is September 2014, will i get some back pay and how soon.
Hello,

The DFAS will use the approved effective date. There is a six-year barring statute that limits the retroactive payment to six years.

Due to the volume of approved CRSC applications now at DFAS, the wait time is now several months per anecdotal evidence.

Your CRSC will be the lesser of
--Dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
or
--The 50% rate (with applicable number of dependents) found in the VA compensation tables.

Any residual retired pay (amount left over from the VA reduction of pay) will reduce the amount of CRSC payable.

Good luck,
Ron

k9vet

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Retired June 2014
Applied for CRSC - April 2018
HRC received my packet and started processing - May 4th 2018
Approval letter dated - 11/27/2018 with 2 different percentages (10% July 14-July 17, and 70% July 17 to present)
First Payment received - 1/1/2019
Audit started at DFAS - 1/7/2019
DFAS sent my packet back to HRC to confirm my eligibility dates - unknown date
New HRC approval - 3/6/2019 with 70% approved from July 2014 to present
Audit restarted
Audit Completed - 3/19/19
I was able to escalate my case after 90 days which was about April 1st.
Received a letter from DFAS dated April 12th stating I would be paid in 30-60 days
Called a few times after 30 days to check on it and got the same story about it pending approval. Called again on May 30th to check on the status because of the problems with mypay not posting CRSC statements. The gentleman I talked to escalated my case on his suggestion (which I thought was awesome because when I did it before I practically had to beg for them to do it)
Checked mypay last night about 7:30pm and my retro statement posted with a pay date of June 4th. So my total time from first payment to approval and posting of retro statement was exactly 150 days. As long as the money clears which I’m sure it will it will have taken 155 days. While the process was long and at times frustrating I’m just glad it’s over and I can move on with this portion of my life. I’m getting married in July and the money helps relieve the stress of all the additional costs that keep popping up. I’m also going to get me a new set of golf clubs so anyone in upstate New York who wants to meet up for a round feel free to message me. Good luck to everyone still waiting and I hope my experience at least provides you and those going through in the future an idea of what to expect.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">