CRSC Calculation Help

Wolverine82

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Been racking my brain on this for quite awhile, and still am unsure. After a meeting with MEB Counsel today, it was estimated that my CRSC would be around $175. Everything else I have researched/calculated says otherwise - can someone please help with this?

18 years (high 3 = $5244)
50% DOD
100% VA
70% CRSC (Projected)
Spouse w/ 2 children under 18

Thanks!

Been racking my brain on this for quite awhile, and still am unsure. After a meeting with MEB Counsel today, it was estimated that my CRSC would be around $175. Everything else I have researched/calculated says otherwise - can someone please help with this?
50% DOD
100% VA
70% CRSC (Projected)

Thanks!
1. 5244 x 0.50 = 2622 ret pay
2. 3000+ VA COMP causes total waiver of ret pay
3. 18 yrs AD x 0.025 = 45% multiplier
4. 5244 x 0.45 = ~2360 longevity portion of ret pay
5. 70% CRSC spouse w/2 c under 18 = 1623.48 (lower than item 4)
6. CRSC = 1623.48 IF the 18 years are active duty or equivalent (total points/360)

NOTE: If the 18 years are not active duty, the AD equivalent (total points divided by 360) would be multiplied by 2.5% and the result would be the multiplier rather than 45% shown at item 3. The H3, 5244 would be multiplied by the new percentage and the result would be the longevity portion of the retired pay. The CRSC would be the lesser of the revised longevity amount and the amount at item 5. Current computation shows item 5 as the lesser.

Ron

Last edited:
1. 5244 x 0.50 = 2622 ret pay
2. 3000+ VA COMP causes total waiver of ret pay
3. 18 yrs AD x 0.025 = 45% multiplier
4. 5244 x 0.45 = ~2360 longevity portion of ret pay
5. 70% CRSC spouse w/2 c under 18 = 1623.48 (lower than item 4)
6. CRSC = 1623.48 IF the 18 years are active duty or equivalent (total points/360)

Ron
Thank you, Ron!

Please note my added remark about 18 years.

Ron

My pleasure...

Ron

Hi all,
hopefully you can clear things up for me. I was awarded my CRSC on July 23rd. DFAS says retro pay can take 30-60 days. From what date does that 30-60 go? is it award letter date or the date they start the audit (because there is about a 2 week time frame between the two).
Also, I left active in 10/2013 and went in to the reserves. I was collecting VA compensation during this. I was eventually medically retired after 4 years. Are they going to go to my medical retirement date or to the date i started receiving va benefits?

CRSC can be no earlier than the date one begins to accrue VA comp since CRSC replaces some or all of the VA offset.
VA comp is paid after it accrues (e.g., VA comp for 1-30 Sep 18 will be paid 1 Oct 18).

The range DFAS gives is imprecise; I have seen cases where the retro CRSC arrived three months after they received notification of the approval. In my opinion, most retro from DFAS is paid within 1-2 months.

Ron

so you are saying they COULD potentially pay from when VA disability was awarded?

so you are saying they COULD potentially pay from when VA disability was awarded?
Yes, IF you waived retired pay for the same period. There are other restrictions, per DFAS:
Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:
—your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
—your Purple Heart eligibility
—your retirement date [and date VA offset began]
—your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
—six-year barring statute

The DFAS usually uses the CRSC approval document as the basis for the start date.

Ron

Ron,

Not sure if you can help with this or not, however I am considering submitting a COAD packet. Can you tell me how this influences pay, if COAD is approved and I reach a 20 year retirement?

Just to recap, here is my current situation:

50% DOD
100% VA
70% CRSC (Projected)

Thanks!

Wolverine,

1. With 20 year retirement (regular):
—You would receive all your VA compensation and all your retired pay through CRDP (if VA rating is 50% or more)

—if you chose CRSC @ 70% while having a regular (20 year) retirement, you would waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received, but only the 70% CRSC rate (which uses VA compensation tables) would replace the waived retired pay.

2. Medical retirement (Chapter 61) and without qualifying for another retirement type:
—You would waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. You would not be eligible for CRDP.

—If you had a VA rating of at least 10% and CRSC was approved at a certain percentage, you would receive a replacement of waived retired pay at the LESSER of
a. The percentage approved which corresponds to the rates in the VA comp tables
OR
b. The dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

3. The benefit of having a regular retirement while receiving VA comp is usually worth thousands of dollars more each year than having a medical retirement and receiving VA comp when the retiree does not qualify for another type of military retirement.

Ron

Ron,

I am trying to assist a friend with a CRSC question. Which would be the better option (CRSC vs Retirement Pay) given the information below:

CH61 Retiree
Months of service: 295
High 3 - $10,700
100% DOD
100% VA
90% CRSC
married with 3 dependents

Can you please assist us with determining which is the better option when deciding between CRSC and 75% normal retirement pay.

Thanks in advance!

I’ll add more in a few minutes, but...
“Can you please assist us with determining which is the better option when deciding between CRSC and 75% normal retirement pay.”

1. The choice is not between CRSC and retired pay. One chooses to receive VA compensation or not (I have never seen a case where it was better to decline VA compensation).

2. There is a choice between CRDP and CRSC if the retiree is eligible for both.

Ron

I’ll add more in a few minutes, but...
“Can you please assist us with determining which is the better option when deciding between CRSC and 75% normal retirement pay.”

1. The choice is not between CRSC and retired pay. One chooses to receive VA compensation or not (I have never seen a case where it was better to decline VA compensation).

2. There is a choice between CRDP and CRSC if the retiree is eligible for both.

Ron
Ron,

My apologies for the confusion... my friend is trying to choose between CRDP and CRSC given the above criteria.

Ron,

I am trying to assist a friend with a CRSC question. Which would be the better option (CRSC vs Retirement Pay) given the information below:

CH61 Retiree
Months of service: 295
High 3 - $10,700
100% DOD
100% VA
90% CRSC
married with 3 dependents

Can you please assist us with determining which is the better option when deciding between CRSC and 75% normal retirement pay.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

1. Please provide the number of active duty years or active duty equivalent. Example: 19 years and 9 months actve duty equivalent

2. Does this individual qualify for another type retirement such as reserve?

3. What s the amount of VA compensation and the categories of dependents plus ages of children?

4. If you have the gross amount of retired pay on a recent RAS, it would be helpful.

Ron

Hello,

1. Please provide the number of active duty years or active duty equivalent. Example: 19 years and 9 months actve duty equivalent

2. Does this individual qualify for another type retirement such as reserve?

3. What s the amount of VA compensation and the categories of dependents plus ages of children?

4. If you have the gross amount of retired pay on a recent RAS, it would be helpful.

Ron

24 years, 7 months

He is not qualified for any other retirement

VA Compensation = $3710.68 (Spouse, 2 dependents under 18, and 1 dependent over 18)

Gross retired pay = $7893

Hello Wolverine,

If the retiree had 24 years, 7 months active duty or equivalent, they would have qualified for a regular retirement (in addition to the CH 61 retirement) . Did the retiree have that number of active duty years?

Is he/she a reservist? Your remark, “
CH61 Retiree
Months of service: 295”. suggests a reservist or NG. Generally, the active duty equivalent would be total points for retirement divided by 360.

The retiree’s retirement orders should show “disability retirement years” or similar. That would be AD equivalent.

Perhaps you should confer with the retiree to obtain the accurate info if you have not already.

Regards,
Ron