CRSC Calculation Question

i know this thread is old but i have a connected question and it seems silly to repeate everything rather than add to it.

if you have a PEB rating of 50% and its listed as combat related and a VA rating for that particular issue is also 50% for that issues and a 80% total for 6 issues how do you know what CRSC award % is?

i cant tell how you know what other things are combat related or not (they very much are) does it say somewhere in the code? or is this something that just comes from the army percentage and so only is relating to the unfit condition?

it seems like in our case it would only matter if it was more than 50% in any way, since when i do the calculator 60% gives us the same as 80% for that line item.

also when it years and months of service, is that straight calculation from [Pay Date] on the LES which in his case includes a prior enlistment in the late 80's, a time in the reserves and then a second block on time starting in 1/2002 till now.

or is it just AD time or what? or stranger still that bizarre membership points thing?

1.Pay Date (addusted combination of all time served?) 18y 7m

2. AD total: (2 separate chunks of enlisted service) 13y 3m

3. this particular congruent AD time 11y 4m

4. the point crap i would have to figure out and i'm not up to that math this time of night

CRSC is only based on your unfitting conditions.

No...take a look at this:
10 USC § 1413a:

(c) Eligible Retirees.— For purposes of this section, an eligible combat-related disabled uniformed services retiree referred to in subsection (a) is a member of the uniformed services who—
(1) is entitled to retired pay (other than by reason of section 12731b of this title); and
(2) has a combat-related disability.
So, you don't need to have any unfitting conditions- you can be a length of service retiree (and, therefore, not have any unfitting conditions) and still get CRSC.
You do have to apply for CRSC- the CRSC board will determine what conditions are combat related.

thanks Jason, so we will just apply for it and see what they say. in his case he was found unfit due to PTSD but he also has Apnea w/CPAP that clearly started durning and right after a deployment, he got a 50% VA rating for it but as you know the Army does not usally find it unfitting. it is clearly related to his deployment and time in a theater of war and the air he was exsposed to while there so i hope they consider that.

it is really frustrating because it is the only thing that i dont think they took seriously enough. His
hypersomnia
that is a result of the CPAP really not helping much is one of his most troubling daily struggles. he literally falls asleep in the middle of a sentence on a daily basis, it seriously compounds his struggles for focus and comprehension that his PTSD already hits him with.

sadly his NARSUM specifically said he did not have
hypersomnia and we planned to get a new sleep doctor and address the error, but though it was not important enough right now to hold up the PEB with. we were advised that it was nearly impossible to get this issue rating as unfitting despite being treated for it and on a CPAP continusously since he redeployed in '09.
in general we are happy with his 80% rating and happier still that we have a a 199 in hand, so we will let he details unfold and deal with them

No...take a look at this:
10 USC § 1413a:

(c) Eligible Retirees.— For purposes of this section, an eligible combat-related disabled uniformed services retiree referred to in subsection (a) is a member of the uniformed services who—
(1) is entitled to retired pay (other than by reason of section 12731b of this title); and
(2) has a combat-related disability.
So, you don't need to have any unfitting conditions- you can be a length of service retiree (and, therefore, not have any unfitting conditions) and still get CRSC.
You do have to apply for CRSC- the CRSC board will determine what conditions are combat related.
Ah ok. But for medical retirees my statement is accurate, no?

i think what is being said is that folks will have one catagory of things found unitting (or not in the case of a regular retiree)
and onother catagory of things found to be combat related.

these catagories will most likely overlap ,but not necessarily completely. So it will be up to the service that you apply to for CRSC thru to come up with yet another percentage, this one for all fitting and unitting issues that are listed on your 199 that are "combat related", it is that 3'rd percentage that the calculation is made from.

am i summing this up right, Jason?

wow, nasty spell check, i of course meant unfitting, not "unitting", i dont think the army cares if my hubbies socks come unraveled.

HELP! My hubby was just permanently retired after being on TDRL for 3 years. He has 90% disability rating from VA, 50% is PTSD.He received a 50% retirement from the military, all 50% for PTSD. It is combat related. He has been receiving his pay through DFAS and VA, but now that he is PDRL, he is receiving CRSC, as well. How is that calculated?? Also, WHY didn't he receive it on TDRL when we are hearing so many others did? He spoke to someone at DFAS today, but it still left me with questions. Appreciate any light you can shed! Thank you for your time!

HELP! My hubby was just permanently retired after being on TDRL for 3 years. He has 90% disability rating from VA, 50% is PTSD.He received a 50% retirement from the military, all 50% for PTSD. It is combat related. He has been receiving his pay through DFAS and VA, but now that he is PDRL, he is receiving CRSC, as well. How is that calculated?? Also, WHY didn't he receive it on TDRL when we are hearing so many others did? He spoke to someone at DFAS today, but it still left me with questions. Appreciate any light you can shed! Thank you for your time!
Start a new thread--you will get more response.

The military makes the combat related determination but the amount of VA pay for those conditions drives the amount of CRSC received. CRSC replaces LOS based retirement offset by VA compensation for combat related conditions. Clear as mud.

So the PEB has deemed your 50% unfitting condition combat related. I assume the Army CRSC authorities of the Army will follow suit when you apply for CRSC. It is possible for you to have other conditions not found unfitting by the PEB (or even considered by the DES) that are compensated by the VA that the Army CRSC authorities will also deem combat related. All your combat related conditions are factored into your CRSC determinations regardless if they were found unfitting or even part of your MEB/PEB.
CRSC is limited in three areas. It can't exceed your LOS retirement amount nor can it exceed the amount of compensation by the VA for combat related conditions which are legitimate constraints of CRSC law. In some cases, CRSC can also be limited by the CRSC glitch which is not a legitimate constraint.

So, with the information posted above and what the VA pays you for a 50% rated condition (assuming the VA rates the condition at 50% as well), I can figure your CRSC amount. I assume this is the only combat related condition you have and the VA rates it at 50%. I am also using your current AD pay of $4,740. I need to use your high three retirement amount which will be less – a lot less if you have been promoted in the last three years and/or have had YOS based pay increases. High three retirement amount = highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

Assuming a VA single rate with no dependents (and a boat load of other assumptions), the numbers look as follows:

1. Total amount of DoD disability retirement: $2,370 (50% of $4,740)
2. Minus DoD retirement amount based on years of service: $1,363 ($4,740 x 28.75%*)
3. Equals DoD "Disability Compensation": $1,007
4. Amount of VA compensation due for combat related disabilities: $770
5. Minus DoD "Disability Compensation” (line 3): ($-237)
6. Equals Maximum CRSC amount: $0

*2.5% per year x 11.5 years active duty

So, using the numbers and assumptions outlined above you will not get any CRSC. Are you a victim of the glitch? No.

CRSC is designed to replace your LOS based retirement offset by VA compensation for combat related conditions. Under concurrent receipt, you should get an amount (between DoD and the VA) that is at least the total of your VA and your retirement based on LOS. With a 50% VA single rate, your VA is $770 and your LOS retirement is $1,363 for a total of $2,133. However, your DoD retirement of $2,370 exceeds this amount by $237. You are a minority case where you get more in DoD disability retirement than your total VA and your LOS based retirement amount. (Again, based on a boat load of assumptions)

As the assumptions turn into hard facts and numbers, the truth will likely change. The key information that is still based on assumptions is:

Your high three retirement amount

Your total VA rating and compensation

The amount of VA compensation that will be deemed combat related by Army CRSC officials. (Although unlikely, the Army CRSC officials could disagree with the PEB combat related determination.)

Do you have a VA rating yet?

Mike
Hi Mike.

Can you help me figure out my CRSC. DFAS said $1000 for 90%. Here is my data:
$5,028 Present DoD Retirement, $4,661 Lenghth of Service (calcuated: Base pay was $7,283 and I have 25.7 years of service of which 16.5 Active Federal Service), VA Comp is $3,306. Is DFAS correct?

DoD Retired: 100% or 75% max
VA: 100%, P&T
CRSC: 90%

What is the active duty credit equivalent of 27.5 years of service.

Mike